Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone seen bondurants vw rig? how do you run a 4 wheel drive train from a rear engine set up? do vw motors run backwards? i can get a sandrail frame and motor pretty cheap out here, is this doable?
flame suit on......:D

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
aaron t said:
anyone seen bondurants vw rig? how do you run a 4 wheel drive train from a rear engine set up? do vw motors run backwards? i can get a sandrail frame and motor pretty cheap out here, is this doable?
flame suit on......:D
No, the VW motor turns the "normal" direction. So since it's mounted in the rear, it would be the wrong way, yes.

To compensate for this, those high-pinion 9" thirds are actually standard low-pinion thirds flipped over, so they spin backwards too - making everything rotate the way it needs to.

There's a lot of REALLY trick fab in that rig. You'll even notice that it's not symmetrical... Must have made squaring the axles to the chassis REALLY fun. :eek:

More info:
http://allprooffroad.com/tiny.html

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
That rig is just soooo cooooll. I wish they explained more on the site.

Is it EFI? If not, how do they get it to run at angles?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
VT_Toy said:
Is it EFI? If not, how do they get it to run at angles?
The coilovers are in the way in the only decent pic of the motor, but I'm pretty sure it's not EFI.

Unless i miss my guess, there's a lot of air-cooled VW-powered sand rails around here that are running weber side-draft carbureators. Those things just don't seem to care what angle they're at.

The next try, that guy went over onto his lid backwards off of a 5 foot ledge - total of about a 10-12 foot drop at the "cab". Motor still idled away until he killed it. Then he flipped it over, did another tail-stand, and made it up. This is in Summertown, TN.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts