Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know there should be a few threads out there about Double Shackles and Making more flex, so don't flame me to bad :D . there was a thread a while ago but I cannot find it.

I realize the issues of Double shackle, --unloading

So I ask the experts: How does this look and how do I make it perfect ?

And yes I know the rear shocks need to be mounted differently.

Set up
ALLPro Johnny Joint--> barley move at all
Marlin 5" rear springs--> Awesome ! Love em
Drop Shackel and 6" shackel

Pictures on Ramp,
Shocks bolted up.

Johnny joint is not rotating

had to disconnect RS9000 13" travel shock to allow more axle drop

Double shackle is opening up, johnny joint is still not rotating, ( no binding on cut shackle

Attachments

·
Banned
432 Posts
I'm takin the overload spring out of my rear springs to see what happens...not enough weight to pull tires down to the ground I think

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looks like your Johnny joint might be more effective if it was in the middle of the two shackles instead of mounted to the frame.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did you grease that joint? I've got 'em and they twist long before my revolvers do.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I have no jonny joint, but I am running dual shackles...I am looking at adding a block above the top shackle to level out the ride rather than a block in the spring perch...

here is at rest with a 1" block..close up

then full view...

then at top of my 48" hilift...

yeah, I know, no shocks-yet, but I am at the end of the brakeline and could go farther with droop....

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
The reason it isent using the flex of the joint on droop is because its located so far from the spring eye its self. If you think about it, the frame has to push out to get that twist.With a second shackle it puts it even farther from the joint. I have RE flex joints on a single shackle set up in the rear and i noticed that the side that stuffs uses the joint a lot and the drooped side dosent use it all. The reason being is because the spring eye stays verticle with the flex joint, so it just twists at the bushing on the spring eye because it hasent moved enouph away from the frame to used the flex joint. I hope you get what im saying here....kinda confusing. Another point, on the side that stuffs, the frame is brought close to the spring eye and moves inward towards the axle.....making complete use of the flex joint. With a double shackle set up i dont think you even need one considering you have added another bushing in the middle they will all twist and give you a good amount of play. Just a thought....

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Christman said:
The reason it isent using the flex of the joint on droop is because its located so far from the spring eye its self. If you think about it, the frame has to push out to get that twist.With a second shackle it puts it even farther from the joint. I have RE flex joints on a single shackle set up in the rear and i noticed that the side that stuffs uses the joint a lot and the drooped side dosent use it all. The reason being is because the spring eye stays verticle with the flex joint, so it just twists at the bushing on the spring eye because it hasent moved enouph away from the frame to used the flex joint. I hope you get what im saying here....kinda confusing. Another point, on the side that stuffs, the frame is brought close to the spring eye and moves inward towards the axle.....making complete use of the flex joint. With a double shackle set up i dont think you even need one considering you have added another bushing in the middle they will all twist and give you a good amount of play. Just a thought....

Thank you, yea I think I understand what your saying
it would rotate more if the ball joint was ner the springs eye not the frame, I just thought it would rotate off the frame eye and that's the way the JJ joint is made.
What do guys do for those Bolt Zirks ?

Those Zirk fitting on spring bolts and Johnny joints from ALLPOO are a FREAKING JOKE !:mad3: Such bullshit ZIRK, I try to lube last night and the $#$%! ZIRK fiting Blows out ! What the [email protected]#$ :mad3:

Except my ALCAN Zirk fittings, Those Are ALL GOOD !:D

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just load them up, they pop off, I hammer them back in.
(only pops off on the smaller bolt)

Eventually I'm going to get some screw in zerks for it.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

I had DRiven industries help me move the rear shock bar

it's looking better

RTI ramp 750

Double shackel

Driver side Rear Dropping

Right side compressed

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bottom shock eyes look like they are in pain. I realize this goes back and forth on this board all the time, but that right there is why you mount your shock bolts perpendicular to your axle.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CTENG said:
Bottom shock eyes look like they are in pain. I realize this goes back and forth on this board all the time, but that right there is why you mount your shock bolts perpendicular to your axle.
Hey I Hear ya, but Wicked Fabrication had the tabs and He welded them on

looking to change, looking for places to mount

1 - 13 of 13 Posts