Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put leaf springs on the rear of my TJ and it rides 100 times better, then rear coils(I had RE 4.5" coils). All the lifted problems that the TJ's have are GONE! I used a 99 toyota taco rear axle with E-locker, 5" all pro toyota leafs(front toyota leafs), M.O.R.E shackles, and used all pro hangers. I also did RE 5.5" long arm kit coils in the front. I am sitting at about 96" wheel base and was at 92". With the long arm and the rear leafs it rides great and would do it again. As of right now I don't have the e-brake hooked up, E-locker, or the adapter for the spare.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Want a cookie or sumfin'?!

You're probably the 100th person to put leaf springs on the back of a TJ. Feel special now?

And for every yahoo that puts leafs in the back of a TJ, there is another person designing a coil sprung suspension PROPERLY that doesn't exhibit any of the short arm TJ nuances.

Welcome to old news ... newbie.

cmk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No matter how you put your words do you even have a TJ, if not then stop talking. Rear coils for on road use they SUCK THE BIG ONE.

·
Registered
703 Posts
TOYJ-7 said:
Rear coils for on road use they SUCK THE BIG ONE.

And you wonder why you got flamed :flipoff2:

You are right though, thats why most performance vehicles come off the factory line with rear leafs, there is just no way to properly set-up a coil sprung suspension :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thats a pretty TJ, does your boyfriend drive one too? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I kno there are a lot of "reputable" people on the board coming aout against this one, but i gotta say that the rear leaf swap was a good call. Why? It all comes down to stability VS. flex. In the real world, you need both. Leaf springs naturally offer stability, without to great of a compromise in flex, or any of the design difficulties inherent to coil setups. For a lot of people, It is a good option because they KNOW how it will work. Lots of people cannot afford to buy Joints, coils and tube and build a link setup at this time. Whats the deal, are you gonna flame everyone with leafs? Thats just :rainbow: Run what works for you, not what someone on the internet tells you you should.
-Ryan

·
Registered
703 Posts
FCwheeler said:
I kno there are a lot of "reputable" people on the board coming aout against this one, but i gotta say that the rear leaf swap was a good call. Why? It all comes down to stability VS. flex. In the real world, you need both. Leaf springs naturally offer stability, without to great of a compromise in flex, or any of the design difficulties inherent to coil setups. For a lot of people, It is a good option because they KNOW how it will work. Lots of people cannot afford to buy Joints, coils and tube and build a link setup at this time. Whats the deal, are you gonna flame everyone with leafs? Thats just :rainbow: Run what works for you, not what someone on the internet tells you you should.
-Ryan

I have zero problem with leafs and think its cool he did that, plenty of people in my neck of the woods run similar set-ups successfully. The reason he got flamed was because his reason for the leafs was ONROAD performance and the fact that coils suck. But as we all know a properly set-up coil suspension will ride better the leafs, do better offroad and can be fine tuned better then leafs. Leafs are old news, leafs on TJs are old news, not once was it stated leafs aren't an effective set-up for someone not willing to get involved with the suspension design and cost of coils.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
TOYJ-7 said:
No matter how you put your words do you even have a TJ, if not then stop talking. Rear coils for on road use they SUCK THE BIG ONE.
LMAO Dumbass.

The answer is staring you right in the face. Your ignorance is not surprising though given your choice to go with leafs versus a well thought out coil suspension.

Go back to grade school, chump.

cmk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Beast40 said:

The reason he got flamed was because his reason for the leafs was ONROAD performance and the fact that coils suck.
Actually, he got flamed before he ever said that. He was jumped for not being the first to put leaves on a TJ. This IS the first TJ leaf swap that I've seen using Yota parts. At least he did a fairly cool swap and preformed it cleanly. He also did what he knew he could make work (for him) and didn't bother building some half-ass link suspension that he didn't understand. Misplaced flame if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
FCwheeler said:
Lots of people cannot afford to buy Joints, coils and tube and build a link setup at this time.
-Ryan

I like his idea of running the Toy rear w/ the E-locker... it's a cool axle.

But I find it hard to believe that this swap would be CHEAPER than a good link/coil setup.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wes in TN said:

Actually, he got flamed before he ever said that. He was jumped for not being the first to put leaves on a TJ. This IS the first TJ leaf swap that I've seen using Yota parts. At least he did a fairly cool swap and preformed it cleanly. He also did what he knew he could make work (for him) and didn't bother building some half-ass link suspension that he didn't understand. Misplaced flame if you ask me.

Sorry Newbie, his first post was all about how it road so nice, 100 times better then a lifted TJ with rear coils. :flipoff2: That right there proved he didn't know jack about coil suspensions.

If his post was about the simplicity of leafs and any reason with some offroad substance, he would not have been flamed like he did. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Beast40 said:

Sorry Newbie, his first post was all about how it road so nice, 100 times better then a lifted TJ with rear coils. :flipoff2: That right there proved he didn't know jack about coil suspensions.

If his post was about the simplicity of leafs and any reason with some offroad substance, he would not have been flamed like he did. :flipoff2:
Well, web-wheeler, that will teach me to re-read posts that are also made on JU. I didn't read his initial post, just saw the pictures and made the connection. I only read the responces and was refering to the second post the topic starter made where he responded to cmk by stating "Rear coils for on road use they SUCK THE BIG ONE." I didn't realize he had said coils sucked earlier. As for not knowing jack about coil suspensions aren't you the guy who used rubber tie-downs and twine to keep from loosing coils rather than running limiting straps? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me. Now go pad your post count with more fluff so you can call someone else Newbie.

As for the original topic. I like the idea of rear leaves for a mild trail vehicle. That's one of the reasons I chose to build an XJ, that and the wheelbase. Rear leaves keep the rear nice and stable and, in my opinion, leaves won't toss you into trees or boulders as bad a coils when trying to climb off-camber obstables. I think he could help himslef by kicking the front end out a little to lengthen the wheelbase but he's definitely off to a good start.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wes in TN said:
Well, web-wheeler, that will teach me to re-read posts that are also made on JU. I didn't read his initial post, just saw the pictures and made the connection. I only read the responces and was refering to the second post the topic starter made where he responded to cmk by stating "Rear coils for on road use they SUCK THE BIG ONE." I didn't realize he had said coils sucked earlier. As for not knowing jack about coil suspensions aren't you the guy who used rubber tie-downs and twine to keep from loosing coils rather than running limiting straps? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me. Now go pad your post count with more fluff so you can call someone else Newbie.

WoW someone has their panties in a bunch...:flipoff2: Bad day at work?
The cord I used wasn't a limiting strap but good try :rolleyes:
Anyways, its not my fault you didn't read the first post :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
so you went to rear leaves and are trying to get more wheelbase... so why didn't you just buy an XJ (or MJ)? :flipoff2:

and don't tell me it's because you want an open top, cause everyone knows that's easily solved with a sawzall, tube bender and MIG :D

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I actually really like the idea of swapping the Toy 8" axle, maybe you can answer some of my questions about them.

Brake lines: I have heard that Toy axles use some weird metric brake lines, what did you do to adapt them to your Jeep?

E-brake: Did the ebrake cables attach to the Toy drums?

U Joint: Does Toyota use a 1310 joint, or did you have to do some sort of conversion? if converted, where did you get the parts?

Also, you may want to consider getting your bolt patterns the same, you can get spacer/adapters to do it here: http://www.mcmotorsports.com/frontend/proddetail.asp?productno=6550-5450

·
Registered
396 Posts
OR

you could just run a 2WD toy axle. Same housing just 5 on 4.5 pattern. I have thought about running one in a new project Jeep, V6 3rd member, spool, and gears. Would be plenty strong and cheap.

DRM or TnToy could tell you about the brake lines and stuff, but I know the driveshaft would have to be modified to accept the toy flange.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know what it is with this board, BUT I always get shit from people from this board and it's only this board. So this will be my last posting(for my own stuff). And YES leafs are 100% better(I was only talking about from the set up I had). I was not going to waste my time builting a link system and all that stuff when I don't have the tools. As far as E-brake goes it is not hooked up yet. I used a yota line(pro comp) and it worked, so I don't know what to tell ya. As far as the axle goes buy a 2wd v6 diff or a prerunner or 4wd E-locker axle and put 2wd v6 axle shafts in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i like the idea. dont stop posting because of a few rear coil guys talking smack. dare to be different and not give a fawk. ive always been a fan of toy rear, but when it comes down to it never had one under my truck. if you want a fancy ebrake check out highangles 231 rear output disk set up, or just make one.

Hunter

1 - 20 of 43 Posts