Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I'm not sure about trusting the joints to solder. But, it could work as long as you were carefull and did a good job using the right flux. As far as running hose all the way, its certainly a viable option as long as you use a properly rated hose of an adequate diameter. I know of at least two guys who went that route succesfully.

oooo,ty. I didn't think of looking there for some reason.
Actually, me either. I'd forgotten all about that...

edit: Upon thinking about it we built a a 120 psi air cannon using just low temp solder and that never blew up....well, at least the joints didn't :D You'd probably be okay.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
what do you use for a bleeder on the t-sat houseing?
A lot of the older ford thermostat housings i've seen have two allen plugs in them for accesories. I just took the top most plug out, and put an off the shelf parts store radiator petcock valve in it. To bleed it you just get it up to temp and then open the petcock valve until only fluid is coming out.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I am using rubber hose on my current rig- going on two years with no failure. I used 1.5 inch hose from the local Farm and Home hardware store- they called it sprayer hose for some reason, looks like standard radiator hose in construction. I had to use rubber line because there was no room left in between my framerails for coolant lines, so I ran them inside the frame (early Bronco frame) I plated the frame where the lines enter and exit, and used plastic elbows- but if you use plastic elbows, test them first in a pot of boiling water to see if they get soft with heat- I found some grey ones and white ones locally and the white ones could take the heat, but the grey ones would get mushy.

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
exhaust pipe seems to work for CAT motors in big trucks
It works, till they rust to hell in a few years. (I make stainless steel replacements for stock coolant tubes so I see how bad they rust) I would think in an offroad rig even though it doesn't see as many road miles the bouncing and jarring would make the life alot shorter. Also, coolant tubes for big rigs are 2.5 or 3" tube, much larger than 1.5" copper line so its alot easier to tuck away.

Im plannin on doin a rear mount setup when I swap in a v8, gives me more room to squeeze in a bigger motor.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Appreciate the hands-on feedback. Too many people get caught up with the "it must be okay because so many people do it" line of thought. There are very good reasons why I don't recomend using exhaust pipe for this project.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
for about 2 years now ( maybe more now ) I am using a 2 core aluminum radiator, a fan out of a cop car and for the lines I have used EMT or Conduit as some call it. I have checked and there is no rust at all. I had my rad mounted up high for a while and then moved it down to below the rear window and it actually seems to cool better at street speeds, maybe its getting better air from under the truck IDK. I also have the air trapped in the engine thing. when I dry out the system for whatever reason. I run a hose to the intake side of the water pump line at the radiator and run the engine untill it gets water and shoots out rather hastily. then the engine is shut down and I hook everything back up, add 2 gallons of antifreeze and finish off with water. All is good. Also, my fan is controlled by the computer as far as on and off goes, and I run no thermostat. It stays at about 185 - 190 which is what its set to operate at.

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
it can be, most is.
But apart from the cost difference, is there any reason not to run copper?

(And for this little bit of tubeing I dont think the price of copper would break the build)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
it can be, most is.
But apart from the cost difference, is there any reason not to run copper?

(And for this little bit of tubeing I dont think the price of copper would break the build)
my rad has a 1 1/2" intake port, and a 1 3/4" outlet. It's not exactly easy finding 1 3/4" copper tubing, at least in my parts. Adapters might work, but i've looked and havnt found anything at the local hardware stores. So i just said screw it and got some easy to get ahold of 1 3/4" exhaust tubing, sure its not the best thing, but at least i can get something done with it.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Hey Pro, is that "roll bar" off the shelf, or did you fab it up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
custom made....the off the shelf ones are thin walled pos that wouldn't save your bacon in a roll.

And yea, I'm at a buddies house posting on his computer with his funk ass user name:D

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
custom made....the off the shelf ones are thin walled pos that wouldn't save your bacon in a roll.

And yea, I'm at a buddies house posting on his computer with his funk ass user name:D
You must now go into chit chat and post a thread titled "Im am homo-ghey"

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts

That explains it. :shaking: Dammit, I was starting to think this Patty chick was cool :flipoff2:

21 - 40 of 83 Posts