Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, before you say 'use the search button newbie' ....i already did. I fished through alot of pages, but still need some clearing up. Anyway, im in the process of a wagoneer dn44 swap on my 91, and Ive noticed that some people have the rear shackle mount stock appearance through the frame while others have it right under the axle. What is the difference? (any in lift?)Also, I've got the 6 leaf 79 wagoneer fronts that im using. I know about the 7s, but will these give me adequate flex? Theres also been arguement that these dont give lift....do they or do they not? I fear asking this question cause it always seems to end in a fight that never gets resolved....or so i read from the wise search button...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Violent91 said:
Ive noticed that some people have the rear shackle mount stock appearance through the frame while others have it right under the axle. What is the difference? (any in lift?)
Think about your ? If you place the shackle hanger lower it would move your spring lower,therefore giving you lift. I don't know what kind of handling difference it would make but it would give more lift under the frame. I'm sure there's plenty of info on EricB's site. His site has helped me a bunch with alot of different things. Big thumbs up to Eric,great site with ton's of good info.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well yeah, i've read that many times....GREAT site by the way. Excellent! But anyway, I was basically asking for more information than what that gave. Basically, I'm going from IFS to solid axle....i have a d44, wagoneer 6 leaf springs...i want to know which method to use so i know how much lift i will get...I want to know this mainly because i just bought brand new 33" swampers and i dont want an insane amount of lift to where it towers over 33s. If the under frame mounting gives it so much lift, Id just like to know how much so i can decide which approach to go. Thank ya. Again, excellent site, i plan on doing the same to the rear....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen a set standard number that the waggy springs give. I think this is cause mainly every truck is different. People use different hangers,shackles,motors and anything else that would affect the weight applied to the spring. For the most part though I don't think you will see anymore that about 2 or 3 inches of lift in the stock configuration. If your looking for more than that I think you might have to go with shackles under the frame or add a spring or two to your packs.

I'm just going by what I have read here at Pirate. I may use waggy springs if my current springs don't work the way I want. Waggy springs do work but my springs were free(my stock rears with a few wrangler leafs added) so I'll try them first. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
416 Posts
if your only trying to fit 33's and want to keep the lift low I would say go through the frame like stock,slight drop front hangar and if it ends up being to low add a leaf or two

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
First, the springs will flex. What you will need to do is construct you spring hanger and then mount your shackles the way that provide the lift/castor angle that you need and desire. Honestly you can clear 33" tires at stock height. Sit down adn plan it all out. Your spring swill pretty much go flat at static ride height. Take your time and plan it out and you will be fine -6 degrees is safe for either a toy or D44 axle (castor) A little variation is fine, I've run both ends of a 4 degree variation, without problems up to 90 mph.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Before you completely commit to the Wag. D44 read this thread Erik B brought up a great point on my setup and of coarse he was right :D I'm now running 1.5" spacers up front to stay out of the springs. Plus with his chebby D44 he has a lot more room to mount shocks, etc. I'd like to change axles actually, but not really in the cards at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts