Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rough ride and suspension questions

Whenever I hit a rough patch in the road, or when i'm off road the back of my Bronco shakes really bad. My jack/sparetire/extra fluids/tire iron etc are in the back and whenever I hit something they all shake and move around. And the top of my Bronco rattles really loudly when I hit something.

I have a 6" superlift with the blocks stacked on eachother in the back and an add a leaf for the lift(It came lifted when I bought it, I would have gotten complete new leafs). I am wondering would replacing the rear leafs with brand new 6" leafs and eliminating the blocks/add-a-leaf, would the rattle decrease significantly? I'm also wanting to replace the super lift shocks with RS5000's in hopes of dampening the rattle with those also(all around on the shocks, just not the rear)

I aso would like to get rid of the drop brackets for the radius arms and get extended radius arms. Who would be the best company to buy these from? And I want to get a drop pitman arm, who also would be the best company to buy one from? I usually order most of my stuff off the net to save money. I've been looking on ntwonline and broncograveyard.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I am guessing shocks are shot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That was my first thought, but I kind of dismissed the idea because they have only been on for a year.

Or do the superlift shocks just suck that bad?

And would the new leafs in the rear give me a better ride or should I save my money for better things?

I'm thinking i'll just get the 4 1/2" leafs in the rear, and use the stock 1 1/2" block, and save some money.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You mentioned that you are running an add-a-leaf in the rear packs. Despite what the lift manufacturers say, add-a-leafs do significantly increase the spring rate of the leaf pack. When you combine that with a set of shocks that are very generic in their valving, you have a very stiff ride. My guess is that the valving in the shocks is too stiff. An adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000 or the MX 6 would be your best bet short of a set of rebuildable Bilsteins. My suggestion would be to get rid of the add-a-leafs, remove one of the lift blocks, and do a shackle flip. This should get you a much better ride while maintaining the ride height that you have now.

Tom

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 9000's are a bit expensive, so I was thinking about getting Skyjacker nitro's all around, and throwing a steering stabilizer up front(something i've been wanting to do for a while). And if that doesn't fix the problem, replace the rear springs with 4 1/2" lift springs, and keep the stock 1 1/2" block.

·
Registered
636 Posts
dump the add aleaf and it should be good, those things are about as bad as overlod springs (im running some in my 150 i have 1.5" of lift from them and it rides like a tank)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If all that you're worrying about is the stuff in the back getting tossed about, buy yourself a bigass bag of bungee straps. :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not really worried about the stuff getting tossed around, but it's REALLY annoying to hear the stuff CLUNK at every bump in the road. And hearing the top of my Bronco rattle like hell whenever I hit a bump. It sounds like a hit a huge pothole everytime it happens, but I don't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts