Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
looks nice and clean but I like to mount my shocks paralel to the spring, this pic should explain it better, I think the shock gets better movement this way

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
I saw a Rock Ram steering setup where the axle side of the ram was bolted to a plate like that where the u-bolts came through.
Must be a strong point just be sure and keep your nuts tight:rolleyes: , or maybe go with another set of nylock nuts on top of those to keep them from wigglin loose

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Looks fine to me. If that is what you came up with musta had a reason to mount them that way so go with it. Buy the way when ya coming up? Hollar at me an we will go have a few cold ones.

Todd

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weezer said:
looks nice and clean but I like to mount my shocks paralel to the spring, this pic should explain it better, I think the shock gets better movement this way
I could do that...and still have bolt on brackets. The top mount will be parallel to the springs. I will probably give this a whirl and see how it works out.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I ran mine just like that for years. I had one instance where a shock bent and broke a mount, and it broke the upper mount (tore the 1.5" .095 wall tubing) and never the bottom mount

edit: mine were welded to the plate itself

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToyToddy said:
Looks fine to me. If that is what you came up with musta had a reason to mount them that way so go with it. Buy the way when ya coming up? Hollar at me an we will go have a few cold ones.

Todd
I'll be up for a short weekend around Feb 14th. I'll PM details once I've got stuff figured out.

Jim

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I'd say that wold be ok for an app where the whole axle will move up and down, but in rockcrawling, as the axle twists, the bushings won't be happy... and may even limit you at some point.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Mine are very similar to your picture. But mine are welded and gusseted to the spring plate itself. No problems yet. No damage and no noticeable bind even with great flex in the rear.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Looks good to me, I mount most of my front shocks this way without any problems, usually the mount is welded to the plate but the same theory and they are up and out of trail damage way.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eskimo said:
I'd say that wold be ok for an app where the whole axle will move up and down, but in rockcrawling, as the axle twists, the bushings won't be happy... and may even limit you at some point.
I hear what you are saying but its not any different the regular axle mounted shocks in the rear. In any case, it wouldn't take all of an hour to make a second set of mounts with tabs instead of the pin.

Thx

·
Registered
891 Posts
I like it, very clean work.
I'm with some of the others in that I would loose the pins and mount tabs instead.
Good job though, I like the design.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Weld on tabs would have been easier and stronger. No loosening of the ubolts and no bent eye bolts.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think it looks fine Jim. Take a look at it when it's good and flexed up and see if it looks like the bushing is about to squish out. If it were some kind of really flexy long travel suspension I'd rather have the bolt perpendicular to the axle. Lookin good.
Rob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts