Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did they ever make a rear steer dana 60?? Also my buddy is wanting to go with dana 60's front and rear on his Chevy and is wanting rear steer. He has 2 front danas and a couple of straight rears and we were wondering if we could swap out the tubes , axles , knuckles and hubs from one of the front danas into one of the rears to make a rear steer axle?? Are we crazy or could this work??

Thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Other than custom axles, I dont know of a single Dana rear steer axle...........You can build one yourself sure, alot of labor involved, but many on here have done this...........get a star and start searching.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Someone on the board found a steering D70 out of an aircraft tug or something like that. I think it might be JeepinDoug and the Maldavo Grande thread.

However, good friggin luck, you're better off building one.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
On the zamboni ice machines I believe they come with front and rear steer dana 60s.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
If I remember correctly the GM Quadrasteer rear axle was a Dana 60 with 35 spline inners and a really cool dif cover mounted ram. They only achieved like 12 degrees of turning max. I tried really hard to find a link with a good picture. http://www.quadrasteerclub.com/

Cool ideas, but a bad maximum steering angle.

How heavy is the rig you are using this on? I have been planning on a Dana 70U with 60 outers for my rear steer axle. I want the strength of the 70, the smoothness of the 70 U and the relatively high low pinion that comes with it..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This would be for a big block chev half ton with possibly 44's on it next year. It will be using leaf springs and is a trail rig no extreme rock crawling. If it works out we planned on doing the same thing to my big block ramcharger.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It should work. I have built a rear steer dana 60 using a rear axle and outers off a front 60. It is actually pretty easy. I found a rear axle with the same tube size. I also machined out the axles c's for a slip fit to go on to the axle. It was a pretty snug fit. If you want to I can take some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I found a rear steer D70 from an off hwy trencher. Bigger inner C's than a D60. A local guy had these & yes Doug bought 2 of them:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts