Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some research and only found 2 buggys with rear steer toyota front axel with longs . Since no one brakes the new Longs im thinking about it , im running 39.5 irok's 4.7 and 5.29 . Is this madness on a 2 seater buggy .
Also i figured that if we could get numbers on how mutch twisting the original rear axel brakes at it would give as a bench mark since we dont really brake them

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Toytota front- $$$ that might hold up.
D60 front- $$$ that will hold up and leaves room to grow
x2 on that one. I got tired of rebuilding Toyota axles. I actually kept spares on the side of my garage. The only thing that lasted was the Longs. Everything else broke so many damn times, I could have bought a built 60 for what I spent fixing my toy axle.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
x2 on that one. I got tired of rebuilding Toyota axles. I actually kept spares on the side of my garage. The only thing that lasted was the Longs. Everything else broke so many damn times, I could have bought a built 60 for what I spent fixing my toy axle.
It's funny how many of us spend years fighting and justifying not doing it, then finally have enough and say "f-it"

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
crash has all the #s pm him

Did Crash do some testing? We did some testing for Marlin on the stock rear shafts an his cromoly rear shafts i don't remember what they broke at. I will see if i can find the numbers. If thats what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I am unable to post #'s on a sunday--must wait for weds :D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
daaam I thought that you hadto post them on tuesdsays :grinpimp:
Nope--thats talki about your sister and your mom--or in some cases the same person :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Did Crash do some testing? We did some testing for Marlin on the stock rear shafts an his cromoly rear shafts i don't remember what they broke at. I will see if i can find the numbers. If thats what your looking for.
yes , thats what we need to no . What do you think Mr Longfield ?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
so someone has the numbers yet ?

Yes i found the old post on here,i don't know how to bring it over but its under Testing Rear Axles For Marlin.
Stock rear broke 6500ft. lbs.
Cromoly broke 7600ft. lbs
30 spline cromoly inners front 8900ft. lbs.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Since no one brakes the new Longs im thinking about it , im running 39.5 irok's 4.7 and 5.29 . Is this madness on a 2 seater buggy .
I mean no offense to Bobby by this who I will continue to do business with BUT people are breaking Longfield 30 spline axles . . . heck we broke two of them on our memorial day trip right in a row. I've personally witnessed at least 6 broken late model 30 spliners here in Oregon. Anyway, thats in incorrect statement. They are also suffering from pretty bad binding in many cases.

That said, the 30 spline Longs are BY FAR the best axle on the market for a Toyota straight front. They have taken the Toy axle to levels that no one would have imagined a few years ago.

Still, I don't think they belong in a rear steer application. I think that they will develop the small ridges inside the bell that I understand cause the binding too quickly when driving to the trails and such. The front end doesn't take the abuse that a typical rear end does.

If you kept that thing SUPER light, I'm sure they will hold up for a while but I believe their life would be limited in a rear steer app. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try it I guess. I just wouldn't expect them to last like a rear steer D60 would!

Just my opinion based on what I've seen.

Chass
ct

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stock rear broke 6500ft. lbs.
Cromoly broke 7600ft. lbs
30 spline cromoly inners front 8900ft. lbs.
6500 lbs stock :) we havent broke them so your 30 spline should be fine in the rear . Im going to cut my 2 seater buggy to 1 seater so that way i can beat it harder :D

·
Vendor
2,380 Posts
I have decided to give the rear-steer toyota a try - we will see how it holds up. It'll be running it in a 1993 Extended cab with 38x12.5" TSL's.

I'll using MAD4WD housings (toy not 9"), stock knuckle balls, Knuckles /w D44 studs and cones, running Bobby's longs /w custom length inners and Bobby's flanges /w HD hub/stud mod. Gears are V6 4.88 cryo'd /w spool. I'll report back if/what carnage follows.

Wish me luck ~!

Also, the truck will see no highway driving, as it is full hydro steer, so I won't worry about the birfs overheating or being overrun by RPM's. The pacific northwest is fairly slimy, so I think if I have sucess here it is because we can have wheelspin with very little binding.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts