Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Nice tech :smokin:
I used to work in the petrolium field removing old gas station tanks, and to rid a tank of fumes just drain it as best you can and then drop in a bunch of dry ice. As the ice evaporates it will pull all of the gas fumes out of the tank. We even used to use gas powered cut off saws to cut the tanks up and never had a problem as long as we used dry ice in the tank.
Good info to know

Anyone know if this would work with a poly tank on a CJ-7?
Anyone try it on the Stock CJ 20 gallon tank?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I got my skid cut over the weekend and I should be draining my tank and starting to form it sometime this week/weekend. I'll try and get pics as I do this to a TJ tank.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm just about finished with mine. Works just like the YJ tank setup pictured. The tough part is keeping the bottom of the tank flat while heating and dimpling the tank. I'll have to get some more pictures in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I beleive plastic gas tanks are lined with metal that is why they don't get soft when they get hot.
I'm not a 100% positive, but that is what my plastic welding instructor told me when I asked about making a plastic gas tank.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I beleive plastic gas tanks are lined with metal that is why they don't get soft when they get hot.
I'm not a 100% positive, but that is what my plastic welding instructor told me when I asked about making a plastic gas tank.
They aren't. Most any plastic tank made today is 6 layer co-extruded HDPE with approx 5mm wall thickness.
The layers are:
- outer HDPE layer (with black color)
- regrind layer (using ground up scrap tanks/leftovers)
- adhesive layer (very thin)
- EVOH layer (very thin hydrocarbon barrier layer)
- inner HDPE layer (non-colored)

This is of course for Gasoline only, Diesel tanks do not require the barrier layer and can be only HDPE.
-troy

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They aren't. Most any plastic tank made today is 6 layer co-extruded HDPE with approx 5mm wall thickness.
The layers are:
- outer HDPE layer (with black color)
- regrind layer (using ground up scrap tanks/leftovers)
- EVOH layer (very thin hydrocarbon barrier layer)
- inner HDPE layer (non-colored)

This is of course for Gasoline only, Diesel tanks do not require the barrier layer and can be only HDPE.
-troy
What about plastic fuel cells are they just straight HDPE?

·
Registered
612 Posts
still waiting :shaking:
I'm really sorry about that. I've been working mad overtime for the past month or so and haven't even gotten out to my garage. :homer: I haven't forgotten about it though... :grinpimp:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here are those pictures of a TJ tank that has been modified. I finally got out to my garage to work on the Jeep and snapped some pictures while I was out there :D

In this picture you can see the dimple in the stock skid. I originally made it to fit around a D44, but now am going with a D60, so I may have to change the dimple a bit

I still have to heat the tank another time or two to get it to fit in closer to the skid. Right now it fits, but the tank is slightly distorted rather than completely conformed to the dimple. I have to take the tank out to heat it and to re-install the pump, so hopefully I'll remember to take pictures of that whenever I get to that point...

·
Registered
194 Posts
What about a heat blanket?

This is beautiful. I was thinking of this very idea, but I scare myself sometimes with my own crazy ideas. It is real nice to see someone has already done it. Now my 14 bolt will fit into my YJ easily this weekend.

What about using a heat blanket like they use to bend large PVC conduit? It seems like you could just lay it on there for about ten minutes and then kneel on it.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This is beautiful. I was thinking of this very idea, but I scare myself sometimes with my own crazy ideas. It is real nice to see someone has already done it. Now my 14 bolt will fit into my YJ easily this weekend.

What about using a heat blanket like they use to bend large PVC conduit? It seems like you could just lay it on there for about ten minutes and then kneel on it.

Thoughts anyone?
Try it.
Take Pics.
Post Pics.
:flipoff2:
Sounds like a great idea :smokin:

21 - 40 of 178 Posts