Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i am doing a rehash on my eb and need ideas on the rear suspension. I did a search but came up pretty well empty handed. I have 5.5" WH coils in front and want to lose the Duff lift springs in back. I am aware of the BNT kit but have never seen pics of an install. Are the springs installed backwards (long side forward)? I want my truck to be pretty much level. Home brewed is what im after. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Best setup for stayin with leafs in the ol bronc, is national leafs with the spring pivots BC broncos sells.... Oh and inboard shock setup.... And wrist the front, should force the back to flex more

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have the same set up as mentioned above and it rocks! I run the 11 leaf rear 3.5" springs with a home built set of the spring piviots netting 2" of lift ( I think BC is only 1.5"?) and in front I have the 5.5" rock crawlers from WH. I have longer tubular front arms and today I am installing the BC WAH kit to the front diff. I was already getting 970's on a 30* so just want to see what the kit will add. With this set up I sit very flat and can hall all my gear and still flex more than enough for the trail and clear 37" with the large fender flairs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
How are the pivots on the street/trail. Do they cause you to flop around? I was thinking of running BC's pivots but afraid to spend the money unless I know for sure how they acted.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I do get a little side to side but at the time I put these on I removed two of the four rear shocks and gained 2" in lift and re-did the front susp. So just by them selves I don't think they added to much. I need to get the longer rancho 9000 and re-do my rear shock set up so they travel in the arch of the rear axel and tie into the rear portion of the cage. But they do give alot more flex to an existing system.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rear suspension

thanks guys. i scored a set of 3.5 nationals the other day and was hoping they work as good as everyone says. i already had planned to inboard the shocks anyways. my ride is a dd so im not so sure about the pivots-yet:)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hey, Just my .02 If you DD your rig I would check into another way to mount your shocks than in boarding them. I have found alot of body roll with them mounted this way.?

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I have see a setup in a older issue of Four Wheeler of a EB using a radius arm style setup in the rear.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Here are my F150 rear springs using the BNT kit:

Gotta say it is nice and easy

Dimitri

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Dimitri, do those springs allow for alot of flex/droop? It looks like those flat springs would allow for all kinds of good movement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Flatty I was wanting to know if it would be better to get new leafs for the rear or do some like you did to get lift and flex.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The F150's are a nice way to go. They are 3" wide and about 56" long. They are offset and you want the long end pointing to the front. They are beefy and with a shackle at the end my 73 eb flexes very nice. I got mine from a 1986 bronco. All broncos and F150's from 1980 and up will work. The 2x4 trucks will be 2.5" wide and some have used those (Bent70) but most use the 3" wide leafs. If you use the brackets from BnT then you must use the 3 inchers.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
What about the amount of lift that the BnT kit provides with F150 leafs? How does it compare to a 3.5" in the front? What's involved with leveling out the rear using that kit?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Flatty said:
Here are my F150 rear springs using the BNT kit:

Gotta say it is nice and easy

Dimitri
Flatty, what's your wheel base with the F-150 conversion?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey Flatty I'm still wondering what your wheel base length is with the F-150 springs was. TIA, Francois.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I posted all the pic's on the budget lift thread but if you need anymore I can take them. My husband has been running that set up for about two years with no problems but there is a roll factor but on the street he puts the outer shocks on. Good Luck on your adventure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
With the 150's in the stock front hanger you will gain 1" in wheelbase. This puts the tire dead center in the wheelwell. Well at least mine.
If you flip the springs around with the short side in the stock front hanger location you will gain 6" on wheelbase.
If you keep the stock front hanger and build new one in the rear. You can get any where from 2"-9" lift depending on where on the frame you put the mount and shackle lenght.

On mine I have the shackle bolt hole an 1" below the frame. I used stock lift confer shackles for a fj-40 (thet were sitting around). These are 4.5" center to center. With this set up I have about 7.5"s of lift.
Like clc900 said I have the 2.5" wide ones.
I believe the 3" ones are a little less prone to axle wrap.
An axle wrap bar is needed no matter what.flex my setup

Oh yea, Flatty just sold the bronco but I would say the wb was 93".

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rear suspesion

im starting to really like the 150 spring swap. i just installed my front springs and my truck sits higher than expected so 3.5 nationals are going to be short. i could shackle flip them but i think the 3" wide springs would be a bit stronger and hold their shape (arch) longer. anti wrap for sure in both cases.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts