Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi a newbie bronco owner here.... previously had a very large jeep..... 1 tons small block etc....so ive got a little knowledge, but not on broncos.....
anyhow, i have a set of 6 inch coils for the front of a newly aquired 78 bronco...... here is the big question, what is the best method to match the front lift? springs? shackle flip? a combination of the two? I want a flexing rear axle..... id prefer not to run a lift block... they spit out at times when you'd rather wheel it then work on it......
So lay it on me whats the hot ticket?
I already did a search... 327 returns i read like 80 of them...... sounds like a shackle flip combined with removing the overload leaf.....? any thoughts on springs? national are nice... but a little pricy for a family man... Procomps... yeah cheap n well.......no thanks..... any mid range nice ones i built a set they are under it now..... prolly could haul firewood in it though...
A little set up info....we run 35" boggers, beadlocks( a heavy right foot) the terrain we like..... mild to wild trails,rocks... some mud... ( cleaning sucks...) other then that some running around no daily driving, but errends or a nice day drive...

so let me know and thanks in advance ( flame suit on....)
signed the new convert....
Sean

·
Registered
381 Posts
in my bronco club (ECBR) a lot of them use shackle flips with a 2" stock block and no overload leaf. seems to work very well. also, the revolver shackles and double shackles combined can be killer! talk about some flex. there are so many ways you could turn it's not even funny. national springs are very nice but yes pricey! i don't suggest aftermarket rear springs from a lift company unless they are specially fabbed for your truck!

-cutts-

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Check out the BDS springs... They come with lifetime warranty - no questions asked. Do that along with the shackle flip and you should be all set. Don't forget to make sure the shocks and brake lines don't become the new limit factors. Go long on the shocks - just make sure that they don't bottom when compressed - use about 1/3 of the travel up and let the rest be for down travel and you should get good movement.

http://www.bds-suspension.com/suspensionsystems_10ford.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
I did a shackle flip and it was worth a good 2". if you get the sky hangers you might be able to get 4" out of the flip. you just need to set the shackle angle right. then recheck the pinion angle. I have seen the factory springs flex well so if you can keep them you might want to think about that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know if I would take the overload out or not. On mine I measured flex before and after and gained none, and with it in I had no problems with axle wrap (at least noticeable), and it never bounced when climbing, now if it doesn't want to climb it bounces in the rear. I don't know if you gain anything without it.
I am also looking for other options for mine though to get rid of my blocks. Oh, I don't know if it matters but I have my springs turned around to make the wheel base around 110"
I am thinking of using waggy springs in the rear to get the mount up on the curve of the frame instead of the flat where it is stock because I am forever hanging up on that mount, and with the arch of a waggy spring it may get rid of my block, has anyone tryed any different springs on their rear? wondering about S10s too?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a few ideas... i think im gonna stay factory springs for now, but the flip is coming soon. id rather build a mount and run a rear boomerang shackle then run the stock ford stuff... gettin nice ones around here ( northern indiana...) can be a real pain....
thanks for the help n the ideas.

·
Registered
316 Posts
well you have to make sure you get the right width springs, 78-79 broncos have 3" wide springs. also reversing your pack will cause more axle wrap and more flex stear. you will need to run a wrap bar to control the rear. I thought about doing it but I didn't want to mess with all the other issues when the rear springs were already pretty good in the first place.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had no problems with axle wrap with the springs reversed until I took the overload out. If I don't try different springs I am just going to put he overload back in and let er buck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts