Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the planning stages for an axle upgrade, i am limited to axles that use a speed sensor in the rear end. if i go dana 60, it'll have to be from a 98 or newer ram and that is $$. ford has used this design since the 80's, so a (gasp) sterling 10.25 could be an option since they are cheap and the only other HD axle with a rearend sensor. the question is, will it send the needed signal to make my ram's computer happy?

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Couldn't you swap to a 94-97 tailhousing with the speedo gear setup and use that to run toteh VSS wires? Get the voltage/frequency ranges for a VSS and "alter" the speedo gear signal.

Then use whatever axle you want.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess i could swap talihousings, i'm not sure how that would work though. the switch came at the time obdII was introduced on rams, so i'm not sure if the inputs between the different style sensors is different? i know mine has an effect on air fuel mix, idle, etc. in addition to abs, speedo, etc. Hick, i could use a ram axle from 98 and up, but have you priced one? more $$ than i have to spend, you can pick up the sterlings for a couple hundred bucks. i'm not opposed to using a sterling at all, they're tough axles on the cheap my main concern is if the ford sensor would give the right signal. seems it should, it's just basically a reluctor ring and magnetic pickup sensor, i would think the would be the same it's just how and what the computer used the signal.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have a VSS that mounts on the tcase speedometer port for a '90. If your case has a place to screw it on, you might be able to use that with a ratio adapter to get the proper signal. By moving the pickup there it would allow you to use any axle. Another possibility would be to use a rubber wheel or little belt with a spring tensioner to spin it off the rear driveshaft. If you want it, let me know.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
RufusTheRam said:
i guess i could swap talihousings, i'm not sure how that would work though. the switch came at the time obdII was introduced on rams, so i'm not sure if the inputs between the different style sensors is different?
OBD-2 started in '96.

Also, I would stay away from the D80 hybrid out of the 2500 HD manuals, the pumpkin is just too fawking big.

Pete

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have a Dynatrac 60 with rear ABS in the Durango.... VSS...

Most popular carriers now-a-days (in my case, the Detroit) are already machined to accept the ABS tone ring. We placed the ABS sensor itself in the upper left portion of the diff cover.

Here's a pic. Not the greatest.. Can barely see it since it was one of the "new" pics when everything was all nice and black. You'll notice the lead wire to it in front of the top Dyntrac (shiny) label.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok... so say i get a d60 rear, 14 bolt, something that doesn't have the provision for a sensor in the housing. you're saying a detroit or similar carrier will have a provision for the tone ring, and i can just put the sensor in the diff cover? is there any set distance between the pickup and the tone ring, or just "close"?

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
RufusTheRam said:
ok... so say i get a d60 rear, 14 bolt, something that doesn't have the provision for a sensor in the housing. you're saying a detroit or similar carrier will have a provision for the tone ring, and i can just put the sensor in the diff cover? is there any set distance between the pickup and the tone ring, or just "close"?
One note though, i cant think of any company that completely replaces the carrier in a 14 bolt.. even a detroit drops in the factory open carrier... may want to look for a dana 70 insted.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
RufusTheRam said:
Yes.... The Detroit should already machined to accept the tone ring. And yes.. You can just put it on the cover... But the "close" part is what I'm not sure of.. That is how mine is set up.. BUT... Dynatrac did it... So I'm not sure of the necessary distance between the ring and the sensor on the cover itself.

FWIW.. I ~am~ just running a regular diff cover on my 60.. So I'd assume that as long as it was positioned similar to the way mine is, the distance between the ring gear and the cover would be about the same as anyone else's.. It ~should~ work... But that is somewhat of a stretch. No warranty expressed or implied. :flipoff2:

And Hick is right about the 14 bolt. Those Detroits are drop in. No carrier replacement involved.

BTW.. Any good machine shop should be able to machine any carrier that's not already provisioned... Trick would be finding the appriopriate tone ring. Anything Dodge or Ford uses should be able to find one... Not sure of GM setup.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have been looking into this for a long time now and I am glad I have found this thread.

I have the same problem but I would like a bulletproof 14 bolt rather then the 9 1/4 crap that I keep ripping up now. It is not only price that I have not found one (Dana 70 from a 2001-2002) but they are hard to find as well. I would love a 35 spline Dana 70 but as mentioned before I keep finding dana 80's that are HUGE and for duallies.

SOILDAXLEDURANGO do you know if your rear diff cover has any shims in the sensor to allow for gap or if your tone ring is set in at a certian depth?

If I take the pickup and tone ring out of my existing 9.25 and have them machined into another axle and carrier do you know how close your speedo is?

Later I intend on running a 440/465/205 and then I will be getting rid of my ECM and my dash so then it will not be a problem but for now it is until I finish paying for it.... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
you guys have no idea how much this info just helped my brother out. sounds like a wrecking yard 70 with a detroit is goin in his '98 V-10 powered truck.................:D

how would i source the tone ring for a 70? dealer only, or would an aftermarket/parts house have access to it? thanks guys.:beer:

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
amazing, simply amazing. i had no idea it was that simple. sounds like i need to talk to my machinist..............;)

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
on a side note about that picture of the ford, i hope he's not welding near that air hose. one hot peice of metal burnin through it and that baby will be swingin around like a bullwhip. i watched a freind do it, thats some funny shit.:D

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
This is cool... The fact that mine was done a certain way helped solve a problem from back in January...

Pics and write up from March finished up the deal when I was out of town...

This is :cool:

And... About the distance... Like I said before, Dynatrac set it up. And I haven't pulled the cover recently, so I don't recall if they've done anything special to space it in any way.

I'll probably be pulling the cover this week as we're going to Moab April 5-12 - need to change gear oil for towing.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Oh and BTW... My speedo is only about 2-3 mph slow at 60. Pretty darn close if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts