Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
i did search and the best thing i could come up ith was the link below. this is my plan:

i can use my 84 rears up front and move the axle forward 2". with added leaves, a drop hanger and shackles. i just need to extend the shackles and drop the hanger the same amount to keep everthing in line.

this will work as long as i keep everything within those guidelines correct? thanks

http://www.4x4spot.com/misc__spring_information.htm

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
As far as i know yes, but there is one thing that i am not too sure about with them. If you mount the springs with a 90° 8" long shackle, the vertical drop of the shackle from bolt to bolt is 8", but that same 8" long shackle at a 45° angle has a 5.65" vertical drop from bolt hole to bolt hole. So i dont know how much of an adjustment in drop to the front hanger you need to match up with the rear shackle drop, since at an angle, the shackle is further up, than at 90°.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i here ya there ... i remember my pythagrean (sp?) therom

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
fwiw, here is my set up.
1. 2x2 reciever tube for a front hanger (this is on an ifs frame).
2. 3/8 plate giving me about 3" total in drop hanger, way way too much in my opinion (it makes getting a drive shaft to work very expensive)
3. first i used procrap 4" yj springs which never settled
4. i then mounted 7.5" shackles under the frame (totally worst imaginable d-line angle)
5. current mod is thru frame shackle 7.5"
6. 86 toy rear 2 main leafs up front with the bottom 3 yj springs under, 4* shims. this seems to work very well, rides like a caddy and the flex is crazy, yet drives well with out any kind of sway bar.
:)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I am running rears up front with Rancho 60622 AAL, factory hangers, All Pro 1.5" longer shackles, and 3 or 4 degree shims. I'm pretty sure it's right about 4" of lift. The biggest problem is the front eye on the rear spring. It is bigger than the eye of the front spring and has a pressed in bushing that has to come out. (If you are using factory hangers) If you have a drop hanger, no problem.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
probably going to build a drop hanger

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
85TrailToy said:
The biggest problem is the front eye on the rear spring. It is bigger than the eye of the front spring and has a pressed in bushing that has to come out. (If you are using factory hangers) If you have a drop hanger, no problem.
Another advantage of the '83 and older rear springs, same eye front and rear.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
I did the same thing with the drop. Lowered the front with a 2" drop hangar. Put the back under the frame about 3" lower, but the shackle was raked back more, so the sprin eye is still about 2" lower than a stocker. Then I used the rears up front with pin 2" forward. I though I'd be ok, but since the pin is forward 2", the axle mounts on an upward curve, throwing all your geometry off.
I'd say get a bigger drop in front than in back (by maybe an inch?) or just shim it. I ended up shimming mine 4 degrees. Don't really know if that fixed it, cuz I have some other problems causing DW:mad:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
a stock solid axle toy has the front hangers directly on the frame and a 3.5" shackle on a relatively flat spring(at the ubolt/leaf interface). building drop hangers requires a similar icrease in shackle length to maintain this caster position....ie, drop the height together...

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
scmb said:
Any good pix to show what you guys are explaining?
Spring Hanger Drop info:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/CrossoverSteering/index.shtml#SpringHangerDrop

Stock:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/CrossoverSteering/SpringDrop1.jpg

2.5" lower than stock:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/CrossoverSteering/SpringDrop5.jpg

The dropped hanger gives you room for the springs to work and still clear the pitman arm w/o rubbing as they do with the stock front hanger loation.

3.5" longer front shackle:

Longer shackle restores the caster angle on the front axle for more stable steering. When I ran 2.5" front, 2" rear, I had bad wobbles, now at 3.5" rear (~1.5 degrees more caster than before) Its very stable, steering returns to center - even with hydro-assist).

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
the thing i dont see is. like mine is 4" from bottom of the frame to bolt eye . 4" drop. but the factory spring eye is actually below the frame 1.5" . So it is really only say a 2.5" drop. So what is the actual amount of drop. I am going to use 6.5" shackle. I thought I was good per Rogers Tech. hope I didnt get it backwards though. if it truely is only 2.5" drop then I may be good.??? Whats your thoughts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts