Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know you shouldnt use ATF in your power steering box but it works in a pinch. Why? Does it foam? Totally different propertys? Just looking for a quick explaination to the facts. Parts stores were closed Sun when I finished putting the box on and didnt think prior to doing the job so I filled it up with ATF when I was done and now it doesnt work as well. I guess I could think of it as a way to flush the system :D .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
spoolnaround said:
Ok I know you shouldnt use ATF in your power steering box but it works in a pinch. Why? Does it foam? Totally different propertys? Just looking for a quick explaination to the facts. Parts stores were closed Sun when I finished putting the box on and didnt think prior to doing the job so I filled it up with ATF when I was done and now it doesnt work as well. I guess I could think of it as a way to flush the system :D .
I don't know what you are working on, but both my TJ and Ford F250 use ATF in the PS systems from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,737 Posts
Re: Re: reason not to use ATF in PS box

yunaderis said:
IN my toyota...i am supposed to use ATF....it says so on the PS cap
:flipoff2: what's up poser.. :D


Anyway, my cruiserhead buddy advised my to put a few tablespoons of ATF in my saginaw box to help seal up a little seal-leak I had, and it worked!

I would think the detergents and other additives are different... but as has been said, many (newer) PS systems use ATF...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,786 Posts
ATF has a lower boiling over point then normal PS fluid.
Some manufactors crap are made for ATF though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is in my 74 Blazer. Maybee I just have air in the system somewhere? Oh well I have to change out the box again as soon as I get a 2wd arm for my other box and put the hydro stuff on. Must just be the tires (38.5's) or low air pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
I have never used anything except atf in my steering stuff. All saginaw. If you are having trouble bleeding a sag box, remove the 4 bolts on top from the backlash adjuster, twist it to the side and dump fliud in up to the top. This is a common place for an air bubble to get trapped. Reattach the cover like normal after topping off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Re: Re: Re: reason not to use ATF in PS box

Eskimo said:


:flipoff2: what's up poser.. :D


Anyway, my cruiserhead buddy advised my to put a few tablespoons of ATF in my saginaw box to help seal up a little seal-leak I had, and it worked!

I would think the detergents and other additives are different... but as has been said, many (newer) PS systems use ATF...


what up mudder? :flipoff2: :mad3: :vader2: :massey:


slipped off any good rocks lately):):):)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
you can add brake fluid to your PS system to stop leaks.

i have quite a few tablespoons in my rover and it works fine, and has slowed the leak quite a lot. the brake fluid swells the seals.
 

·
Team *******
Joined
·
786 Posts
OK here is the deal. Both will work and both are close to the same weight but ATF is a little lighter and will boil a little sooner. Not much of a difference at all.
ATF has some additives and Cleansers in it. It will work but on older boxes like the 74 blazer mentioned above it will swell and eventually harden the seals, which in turn will cause them to crack and leak. This goes the same with brake fluid, but it is a little more extreme.
On boxes newer than 97 Saginaw started to use nitrite o-rings which will not break down in ATF but the seals aren't as good.
Basicly is it says to use ATF then it's OK but if it doesn't it will eventually ruin the O-rings and seals.
I personally use ATF in my Saginaw but only because i can tear mine apart every week and rebuild it if i want to and it's much easier to carry one fluid than 2. Basicly i'm LAZY!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,609 Posts
TheLakeRat said:
OK here is the deal. Both will work and both are close to the same weight but ATF is a little lighter and will boil a little sooner. Not much of a difference at all.
ATF has some additives and Cleansers in it. It will work but on older boxes like the 74 blazer mentioned above it will swell and eventually harden the seals, which in turn will cause them to crack and leak. This goes the same with brake fluid, but it is a little more extreme.
On boxes newer than 97 Saginaw started to use nitrite o-rings which will not break down in ATF but the seals aren't as good.
Basicly is it says to use ATF then it's OK but if it doesn't it will eventually ruin the O-rings and seals.
I personally use ATF in my Saginaw but only because i can tear mine apart every week and rebuild it if i want to and it's much easier to carry one fluid than 2. Basicly i'm LAZY!
Off the topic here but you are a sterring guy... Got any pointers on how to get my full hydro to quit howleing? I cant seem to get all the air out of it and its driving me mad!!!
 

·
Team *******
Joined
·
786 Posts
Hey man I'm a *******, I may knoiw what it is and i may think i know how it works but as long as i can still spell B..E..E..R i'm good to go.
But seriously thanks for correcting me. your right it's a big difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
USFSIHC said:


Off the topic here but you are a sterring guy... Got any pointers on how to get my full hydro to quit howleing? I cant seem to get all the air out of it and its driving me mad!!!
Do you mean squeel, because mine makes a funndy noise at the orbital valve which is right after the steering wheel. It shound a bit like there is air in there, or metal blades swirling by the valve, and i just thought that, thats how there supposed to sound, because it is just the valves moving.
What exactly does yours sound like?
I would like to fix mine if there is something wrong, but it works great.

Ian-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Matt, how about viton? Costs a little more (not a lot) but should be a great material for that application. If you want I can dig up a source for any size/shape rings you'd need.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top