Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to take a break for awhile and start a family but I would like to get back to building.
I have always been a lurker on this board and not said too much but I could use some advice.
I have built a couple TJ's in the past but I am looking at, what I believe is, a 1972 Jeep Commando "bullnose".
The person has it advertised as a 1970 but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case given the "full front end".
What exactly is this, 72 Commando C104? And what would be a reasonable price? It clearly needs a lot of love but I think it could turn out great!
The current owner should be giving me the VIN tonight so I can do a little more research...

Specs per add:
Mileage is 190,000, standard 3-speed trans, yellow on yellow, rolls but doesn't run. Located in the North East (RUST BELT)

I will know tonight what engine it has.
I'm assuming a dana 30 front and possibly a 44 rear; both would be swapped out...
Also assuming at this time 232 I6, T18 or 19?, and a dana 18 or 20...

VIN Confirms: 1972: Commando 104" Wheelbase, 4 Wheel Drive, Commando / CJ-6 (Std.), 3900#, 6 Cyl, 232 Regular

Excuse my ignorance but should the doors be able to open 180 deg? serious question. see 2nd photo, hinges look ok
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
No description available.

·
Willys Fan
860 Posts
You're right on your thinking that it's a 72 or 73- the bullnose change happened in 72. Could be either 232 or 258 six. Looks like you'll have some major rust repair to do... Don't know what prices are doing for these. There are relatively low numbers of these compared to CJ's, which I'd think would make them a little higher than a CJ in similar shape. The bull nose is generally not as popular as the earlier front end style though. The longer wheelbase is nice. Look like it ran a plow, which can be hard on the frame...Hmmm....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CJ3BL, I just received the VIN and it confirms the I6 232... At this point, I'm really only after the body, chassis, and interior. The rest will get swapped. Owner was asking $1000 but I don't think I will go above $500

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Jeep got sold to someone else for more than I was willing to pay... I'm going to keep looking. Thanks

Reactions: 4x4prepper

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I was starting to feel like I really missed out but F-it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts