Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who is interested in an adaptor to fit the Borg Warner 1339 (Jeep Quadratrack) T-case to the LT230 T-Case as a crawler box? Provided the adaptor could be made for a reasonable price this would be the cheapest way to get a strong bolt-on crawler box.

Bill Larman (who has fitted these crawler boxes to both series and LT95 t-cases) is looking to get adaptors manufactured in Australia (if there is enough interest).

I estimate (this is my guess only) that the adaptor would be $500US or less (but you need to source your own BW1339. The only downside is (I believe) the kit will have to also include an adaptor to use a series handbrake drum on the LT230 (otherwise the crawler won't fit).

For more details, and to post if you are interested, click here (start reading at the 6th post down).

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26051

I have no personal interest in this venture (other than I want a reasonably priced crawler box for the LT230 to be available).

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
madcowdungbeetle said:
$500 US or less, I'm on it...
I'd think about it, but I would need one that would fit an early auto rangie LT230, and unless he is modifying the existing input gear it would be impossible (One off).

Frankly I'm not sure if I am going to want lower gears - 5.14X3.32Xbig slushy autoXtons of torque? In these conditions it probably would be triple overkill.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I wanna see a picture before I comment further. Otherwise, I'm interested and may start looking for suitable donor transfer cases.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree pics would be great. I'm acutally interested in it for a Series T-case. I just read that old thread a month ago and already started collecting parts including an old Fairey overdrive. I've already got the Borg Warner low range box and the overdrive should be in my hands next week.

Let me know if you guys are going to do this for sure.

Dan

·
Registered
494 Posts
Very tempting, I would be very interested.

·
Registered
217 Posts
IMO aquire a Borg Warner 1339 (Jeep Quadratrack) this will happen.

I have mine. :)

this looks like the most workable set up around since ashcroft stopped manufacturing thiers.

regards
Michael.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
RoverDan said:
I agree pics would be great. I'm acutally interested in it for a Series T-case. I just read that old thread a month ago and already started collecting parts including an old Fairey overdrive. I've already got the Borg Warner low range box and the overdrive should be in my hands next week.

Let me know if you guys are going to do this for sure.

Dan
I'm curious about this as well :flipoff2: . I have a Fairey... And a Series transfer case, but I hadn't intended to use it in this application.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There are some pics of it fitted to an LT95 here:

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22705&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

But seriously, I will see if someone can take some decent pics and post them.

Also, note that this adaptor is for LT230's - that don't have a lot of dead overdrives available to do the adaption (unlike the series and LT95 T-cases). So if you COULD get hold of a dead LT230 OD and had a friend with machining equipment you could do the conversion yourself for less. This system will be a completely bolt on conversion, just supply a BW T-case and bolt everything up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The idea of this is to take the Reduction unit from the jeep qtrac transfer case and make and adaptor for it to fit the PTO output of the LT230.

The LT230s input gear will need to be replaced with a modified input gear, the upper chain sproket is needed from the original qtrac transfer case and the Hand brake assembly needs to be replaced with a smaller series drum and an adaptor need to be made to fit.

I am eagerly awaiting for someone to get this under way and either have a kit with all required parts (minus the reduction unit).
As you can see from IsuzuRovers post there is alot of interest in Australia aswell just not as much pushing power or keen as mustard machine freaks such as you lads on pirate :grinpimp:

Glad to here some of you guys are onto it and I hope you are succesful :smokin:

Keep us posted on progress.... and just let me knwo when you want the $$$$ :D

Anthony
aka Grimace

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
So it look slike the boys in OZ are not finding anyone to do the work. Anyone here friendly with BCB?? It looks like the type of thing that is up there alley.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if someone can send me the CAD files or schematics (dimensioned & tolerenced preferably) so I can take a look at them, I might be able to pull something together.

does this include the specs for the input gear ?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Grimace said:
The LT230s input gear will need to be replaced with a modified input gear, the upper chain sproket is needed from the original qtrac transfer case and the Hand brake assembly needs to be replaced with a smaller series drum and an adaptor need to be made to fit.
or why not include a disc conversion for the Tcase instead :evil:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
madcowdungbeetle said:
if someone can send me the CAD files or schematics (dimensioned & tolerenced preferably) so I can take a look at them, I might be able to pull something together.

does this include the specs for the input gear ?
AFAIK there aren't any CAD files. Bill, the guy who has built 2 of these adaptors before, is very much an old-tech (pen and paper) kind of guy. However, maybe he can do some pen and paper drawings and someone can convert them to CAD.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
madcowdungbeetle said:
or why not include a disc conversion for the Tcase instead :evil:
No reason you couldn't. Personally I prefer the drum because it is less likely to be damaged when you hit it on a rock.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
red90rover said:
So it look slike the boys in OZ are not finding anyone to do the work. Anyone here friendly with BCB?? It looks like the type of thing that is up there alley.
It is up their alley. They've done two for me, and about a half-dozen for others.

It's not exactly a huge profit maker, so they have shyed away from doing more.

EDIT: Cooper has also done a disc conversion to an LT-230. Didn't work out very well so he went back to a drum.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
red90rover said:
Sorry Micheal, are you saying they have done this exact underdrive before??

If so, what type of cost.
You know what, I'm a dumb shit. I thought this was the thread about the pat-time LT-230.

Sorry.

Cooper made ONE crawler box about 6 years ago. None since. It's in the 'plan' to make another version, but who knows when it'll happen.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
OK, but does he know about how easy it would be to adapt a BW1339 low range set?? Someone might want to try and get the gears going. I really think this could be done for $1000 USD plus the donor case. If it can be done that cheaply, there would be a fairly large market.

The overdrives cost, what?, $2000 USD. All this needs is the input gear arrangement from that (modified to suit) and an adapter plate.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
ISUZUROVER said:
AFAIK there aren't any CAD files. Bill, the guy who has built 2 of these adaptors before, is very much an old-tech (pen and paper) kind of guy. However, maybe he can do some pen and paper drawings and someone can convert them to CAD.
That shouldn't be a problem. Right now I am taking an autoCAD class and that is pretty much all we are doing: converting hand written diagrams onto the computer.

If you can get the specs to madcowdungbeetle, him and I could probably have that mofo on the puter' in no time.

Oh, when you send it, send two copies and two bottles of scotch :D .

1 - 20 of 184 Posts