Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
you could also try the "heavily modified Land Rovers" page on FB
I had no idea about this group, thanks! Just joined it.

I hate that forums are dying and everything is moving to facebook. Ill keep updating this forum on progress. Havent picked up the 1339 from my buddy yet, hopefully as soon as this stupid pandemic cools off.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would think the best way would be to get a roamerdrive and swap the planetary gearsets. All the other engineering is done. Would be a good prototype, then maybe make a deal with roamerdrive to buy select parts (case, linkages, the part that sticks into the transfer case, etc). But overall, except for the gear ratio, EVERYTHING is there. Even getting a 1.50 or 2.00 gear ratio reduction would be huge. Not like we need to go all 22re 598379482:1 crawl ratio.

I was just looking at a cutaway for the Fairey. Kinda wish I had kept my old one. I think turning it into an underdrive would be semi-simple assuming I could find someone to cut a new countershaft for me and weld on the case. That said old series overdrives are junk. Mine ran on metal shavings.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would think the best way would be to get a roamerdrive and swap the planetary gearsets. All the other engineering is done. Would be a good prototype, then maybe make a deal with roamerdrive to buy select parts (case, linkages, the part that sticks into the transfer case, etc). But overall, except for the gear ratio, EVERYTHING is there. Even getting a 1.50 or 2.00 gear ratio reduction would be huge. Not like we need to go all 22re 598379482:1 crawl ratio.
^That is a great idea!
I pondered running a hydraulic pump / motor set up taking advantage of the axial flow variable displacement type motors. The sheer bulk and mass of the components, cooler, oil tank is way more complex than a simple underdrive, costly too.

181 - 184 of 184 Posts