Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I too would have no hesitation in cutting a large hole in my foot well to make room for a 8:1 low range option.

If anyone wants to make the adaptors and supply them on a one by one basis, I can source afew Reduction units from the Qtrac :D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
portalrover said:
That is the one I mentioned a couple of posts ago. I was talking to Mark at the Melbourne 4WD show a couple of weeks ago. He markets the crawler for Toyota LandCruisers but when I asked him if he would be prepared to adapt it to LT230's he replied that if there were sufficient interest he would but you are looking at over $3500 Australian.
Bill.
So how many gears does it provide? Three different low ranges? Does it split high range also? The discription is differing in the two sources of information I have seen about it. It may be to big for the parking brake drum.

That is expensive, with the current exchange rate and all. What would the US$ be roughly?

JP

·
Registered
274 Posts
jP, the advertising blurb claims a 205% lower reduction but it is a 1:1 and just over3:1 reduction unit. if it were fitted to an LT230. you would have the choice of 1.22;1 high/ high. 3.66:1 high/low. 3.32:1 low/high and almost 10:1 low/low. The way I see it the box could be clocked so that most of the bulk is to the left and may clear the hand brake. Can't help with exchange rates I'm sorry, probably around $2200US. Mark has some sort of loose affiliation with Advance adaptors, try them.
Bill.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I picked up a donor LT-230 last night (along with a hulk of a 109). A little birdie has PM'ed me with a BW box. I'll be going through my five-gallon pail containg a ZF tranny and pull out the output shaft assemblies and maybe this thing can get off the ground.

New Shopboy has called asking for specifics, maybe now, we cna both visualize what's gonna need to happen.

Now to convince Shopgrrl to order a coupla hundred $$$ of aluminium stock and some new carbide bits. Carbide rocks!

After having put a new floor in Shopboy (1)'s Rangie, I'm done for doing floor work :flipoff2:

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
portalrover said:
jP, the advertising blurb claims a 205% lower reduction but it is a 1:1 and just over3:1 reduction unit. if it were fitted to an LT230. you would have the choice of 1.22;1 high/ high. 3.66:1 high/low. 3.32:1 low/high and almost 10:1 low/low. The way I see it the box could be clocked so that most of the bulk is to the left and may clear the hand brake. Can't help with exchange rates I'm sorry, probably around $2200US. Mark has some sort of loose affiliation with Advance adaptors, try them.
Bill.
2200 US does not scare me. I got more then that in my Ashcroft underdrive. I am happy with my underdrive, but since they are not getting made anymore, this seems like a viable option. To bad it is not an under/overdrive like the infamous Timm Cooper has teased us with for years.

If I could just play nice with the Aussies, maybe I could get someone to send one via the post office to check out. Or wait until they produce the LT230 version.

JP

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
pendy said:
2200 US does not scare me. I got more then that in my Ashcroft underdrive. I am happy with my underdrive, but since they are not getting made anymore, this seems like a viable option. To bad it is not an under/overdrive like the infamous Timm Cooper has teased us with for years.

If I could just play nice with the Aussies, maybe I could get someone to send one via the post office to check out. Or wait until they produce the LT230 version.

JP
You can probably buy one from Marks to check out - then when you are done with it sell it to Frankenrover for his cruiser.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The only way you may persuade Mark to look at adapting to LT230 is for everyone reading this thread to swamp him with enquiries. You might like to ask him about his proposed portal drop boxes (Landcruiser, Nissan at this stage) while you are at it.
Bill.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
ISUZUROVER said:
You can probably buy one from Marks to check out - then when you are done with it sell it to Frankenrover for his cruiser.
Bill and I both already have under drive boxes. So his underdrive should give him some gearing options for his Mog axles.
And I think he purchased those lower gears recently to lower his cruiser.
I am just looking to the future. Underdrive is a nice option.

JP

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
portalrover said:
The only way you may persuade Mark to look at adapting to LT230 is for everyone reading this thread to swamp him with enquiries. You might like to ask him about his proposed portal drop boxes (Landcruiser, Nissan at this stage) while you are at it.
Bill.
Already done Bill.

Everyone should email Marks and tell them you are interested in the crawler box for an LT230 and bolt on portals for a Land Rover. That way we may hope to have some decent bolt on LR bits in the future.

The website is:

http://www.marks4wd.com/

email: [email protected]

The US distributor is:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/newidea.html

email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Short e-mail conversation w/ Ray Wood at Wise Owl / Roverdrives.

He's concerned about the low volume..." People call
me sometimes looking for underdrives but I dont think there is much volume
there."

So don't count on them as a source just now.

KAA

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
uninformed said:
Maxi Drive portals arn't bolt on or decent????????

come on ben

From the little I have seen of them Maxi-Drive portals are both bolt on and very good quality - only problem is $12k AUD just for 4 portal boxes is a lot of money. If Marks is going to make them for a number of different vehicles and just adapt them to different applications I think this would allow him to sell them for a lot less money. The hilux guys in the states have been calling for bolt-on portals for years - I'm sure there would be a big demand there - and that would reduce the price for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Keith Armstrong said:
Short e-mail conversation w/ Ray Wood at Wise Owl / Roverdrives.

He's concerned about the low volume..." People call
me sometimes looking for underdrives but I dont think there is much volume
there."

So don't count on them as a source just now.

KAA
Sounds like more people need to call/email Ray so he thinks there is more interest.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Talked to Ray today, he was saying that it wouldn't really be feasable for him to produce a box, unless he could expect to sell 50 or more in the states. He was also pretty intrested in producing a under/overdrive unit so it would appeal to more people. I am going to talk to him later today and see if we can't crunch some numbers.

Brad

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
WBDISCO said:
Talked to Ray today, he was saying that it wouldn't really be feasable for him to produce a box, unless he could expect to sell 50 or more in the states.
Surely that wouldn't be a problem if the pricing was in line with the overdrive he sells at the moment? Hell he would probably sell over 50 in Australia if the pricing was the same as the roverdrive.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
ANYTHING...just get me a set :flipoff2:

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I received a phone call this afternoon (2004-11-03). I will have a B-W reduction box for measurement purposes by mid-next week. I obtained an LT-230 with a seized center diff on Monday and have a torn-down ZF.

Today I spoke with both Shopboy 2 and the gentleman who sources the mechanisms for the machines Shopboy 2 builds. Neither of them believe that our project is beyond the realm of possibility.

If folks are willing to pay the $ I'm seeing here, production runs of 50 units appear to be reasonable. The shop where the aforementioned gentlemen work has machine time available to cut the splines on the shafts.

I'll post pics of the parts when they arrive.

Peace,
PT

ps-I've already sold the first three :flipoff2:

81 - 100 of 184 Posts