Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Paul,

What are the exact components needed?

Let me secure these in this tiny country, and then send you the money if its good to go...and reasonable!

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Lemme see just what the other two folks (Shopboy 2 and his purchasing/estimating engineer) who are involved have to say before I jump up and offer them for sale.

I am expecting to make three sets the first time around, one for the gentleman who has graciously offered me the use of his reduction box, the gentleman who has the contacts at a REAL machine shop and myself. If these three go well, and there is sufficient interest, I may be buying machinery to do more of the work in-house (as opposed to outhouse?).

I really have hopes of finding a suitable, new, off-the-shelf planetary unit and at least some of the gearing similarly. This will dramatically improve availability and lower the cost (presumably). I have serious reservations with making parts to attach to used parts of unknown condition transfer case bits for others to install and then, come running to me claiming that the parts I built fawked up their truck. If it is available as a complete, finished unit, i can stand behind it as I do the mechanical work done in the shop.

DiscoDino said:
Paul,

What are the exact components needed?

Let me secure these in this tiny country, and then send you the money if its good to go...and reasonable!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Sounds good Paul,

But remember that there are plenty of CB rover owners like you and I who would prefer the cheapest way out - buying just the adaptor from you and sourcing a BW T-case ourself.

So far I have never heard of one of these BW1339 T-cases breaking...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
So give them the shaft, PT. And the adapter piece as well. That is what this post was all about. They spoon fed you the design so pony up.

JP

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
OK guys, you've done it now. Shopgrrl says I must get on this project while there is still a market :flipoff2:

I have the transfer case and a ZF. The reduction box will be here next week. I spoke with a metal stamping shop today about making a piece to fit over the hole necessary for clearance. I'm trying to make this a complete assembly that can be bolted and sawzalled to install.

The cost will be based upon the costs of my materials, machine time and a reasonable profit. Those of you who know me know I base all of my pricing upon this very simple formula. If the costs of production can be driven down, I may be able to beat costs listed here. If the costs of materials and machining are prohibitive, there may be a few of these made. Let's hope we can "continuously improve" the process to keep costs reasonable.

Peace,
PT

Tony-I'm gonna take you up on that offer!

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Great...I'm in for 2 if not 3...(depending on price)

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
DiscoDino said:
Great...I'm in for 2 if not 3...(depending on price)
Nadim:
Looks like you'd better be offering some Mid-East wheeling to get your name on the waiting list :flipoff2:

(pendy voice on)Does your girlfriend have a sister?(pendy voice off)

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Dude, our hospitality is as warm as our wheather...come on down!

(yep...she's even "hotter" :rolleyes: ...but she's into the SLK/RR3 scene)

·
Registered
353 Posts
tony cordell said:
Paul
Depndant on final priceI'll take a unit and could probably earmark another.
for this service you can come and stay/drive my.

Range rover with a cool reduction unit & 38" rubber all weekend at Ormeau, QLD Australia....... :grinpimp:

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Grimace said:
Range rover with a cool reduction unit & 38" rubber all weekend at Ormeau, QLD Australia....... :grinpimp:
Shopgrrl just said you go to the head of the line :flipoff2: It was Queensland that did it :D

OK, maybe I should make sure the gentleman who provided the first BW unit gets one too!

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
64rovr said:
Maybe you should actually build ONE first before you start promising dozens! :flipoff2:
Everyone who has contacted me separately has received that very caveat.

Shopgrrl has told me very clearly not to screw this one up.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Now, PT, let me ask you a few questions to help clarify what it is that you're doing.

You are looking for an off-the-shelf, readily available gear that could be used to help build a new mainshaft for the LT230? Versus using the input gear off of an overdrive to transfer power to the underdrive.

OR, are you looking to find an off-the-shelf planetary that could be modified to suit a different casing that would be bolted onto the LT230?

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
64rovr said:
Now, PT, let me ask you a few questions to help clarify what it is that you're doing.

You are looking for an off-the-shelf, readily available gear that could be used to help build a new mainshaft for the LT230? Versus using the input gear off of an overdrive to transfer power to the underdrive.

OR, are you looking to find an off-the-shelf planetary that could be modified to suit a different casing that would be bolted onto the LT230?
Guilty on both counts. Shopboy II and his procurement engineer seem to think it is feasible. What they can't make in-house, we'll source (or vice-versa).

Worst case, I'll try to make up at least a few of the parts to do the BW setup.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Saw a reduction box on a truck(jeep wagoner) for sale today. I peeked under it and saw the low range box. But there are no controls for the low range engagement. Prolly been replaced from a donor truck and never engaged since. Wish I had a cover plate to trade the owner for. It is a late 70's model and the guy has it for sale for 3700.00. That is crazy money. It has rust and fresh spray paint to cover its roughness. But nice enough someone would want to buy it. But not at that price.

Oh well I will call on it at least.

JP

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
it would be worthwhile to start looking at other planetary reduction cases for use in this application. for example i have, sitting outside, a BW1356 from a 1988 Ford F-350. This has a big planetary reduction box on the back half of the case, and the reduction is 2.7:1. it is also massively heavy duty.

101 - 120 of 184 Posts