Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal:
Late 80's (IFS) GMC 1500 4x4, that's used mostly for farm duties and light wheeling (not a daily driver). The other day, the rear end went. It looks like part of the left bearing (closer to the short side of the carrier) broke in half and spit itself out (breaking off a couple of teeth off the pinion and the ring)

So, I have a few Qs:

It's a 6 lug (4wd) 10 bolt, 8.5 in gear. We can't seem to find another 10 bolt (6 lug)for a reasonable price. Will a 5 lug (2wd) housing and the carrier work? Will it accept 6 lug outers? If not, will just a 2wd carrier and outers work in a 4wd housing?

Axle will be out of the truck anyway, we'll try to rebuild it (first time for everything) and if that don't work out, then will just put in a used 6 lug 10 bolt (when it becomes available)

Also, in regards to shims. How many are there? One for the pinion (to control how far out it sticks) and two for the carrier (to locate it horizontally in the pumpkin?)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
You can use a 2wd axle, just swap the axle shafts themselves. Has to be 88-up style in less you want to weld on new spring pads.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could probably find a 6-lug semi floating 14 bolt for a reasonable price too, and it would probably have the same gear ratio

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a rear 6 lug 10 bolt here in central CA it has 3.08 gears I don't know if your anywhere close but if your interested PM me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks as though carrier may have to be replaced as well, where can I get one (preferably with 3.42 ring on it?)?

Also, are R&P sets all the same? Is Genuine better than Richmond or vice versa?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
save yourself time and money and future dollars by upgrading to a 6 lug semi floating 14 bolt. it will be easier for you now and pay for itself in the future. if it broke once its probably gonna happen again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are the 88' and up 10 bolts and 14 bolts same in width and spring pad placement? did they come with 3.42s? how bout the pinion yoke?
I am working on a limited budget here, and a truck is a farm vehicle (more or less) Previous 10 bolt lasted almost 200K miles.
But you're right, if 14 bolt is a bolt in, I might as well

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The 14 bolt should bolt right in. It will last just a s long, if not longer. Like you said, "Light farm duties." Don't wast the time or the dime on the 10 bolt.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
find a late 80's early 90's 2500 3/4 ton LIGHT DUTY. my bro had a 91 3/4 ton LD w/ 5 speed it had 3.42's and a 14 bolt semi floater. it is a direct bolt in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts