Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to use a shackle mount that slips into the receiver hitch as my rear pull point. This way, I can remove the insert when it's not need to improve rear departure angle and avoid hanging my ass on stuff. So who's using this method and let's hear/see what you've made or bought as a receiver insert. (probably should have put this in the General Section... but oh well, let's see what you bastages can come up with :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Mechanos said:
I decided to use a shackle mount that slips into the receiver hitch as my rear pull point. This way, I can remove the insert when it's not need to improve rear departure angle and avoid hanging my ass on stuff. So who's using this method and let's hear/see what you've made or bought as a receiver insert. (probably should have put this in the General Section... but oh well, let's see what you bastages can come up with :flipoff2: )
Haven't done it yet, but my plan looks like..

Hunk of 2x2x.250 square tubing.

Regular tow-hook.

Two bolts, some washers.

I'd slide the tow hook inside the 2x2 tubing, then use washers/flat stock to shim one side of the tow hook until I can get a tight fit between the hook and the box tube.

Then bolt it in place, double-shear.. then drill for the hitch pin..

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
tsm1mt said:
Haven't done it yet, but my plan looks like..

Hunk of 2x2x.250 square tubing.

Regular tow-hook.

Two bolts, some washers.

I'd slide the tow hook inside the 2x2 tubing, then use washers/flat stock to shim one side of the tow hook until I can get a tight fit between the hook and the box tube.

Then bolt it in place, double-shear.. then drill for the hitch pin..
Kinda sounds like what I have. I have been searching for a picture, I can link over. Just remember the digital is in the truck. Be back in a few!!

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wanting to use one of my 5/8" (i think) shackles. The cross-pin is approx. 1" in diameter. I already have the receiver tube welded into the bumper (it goes through the 2x4x.188 tube bumper and is welded on both sides. the receiver tube only sticks out about 3/8" from the rear of the bumper and the rest of it is on the front side of the bumper). The plan was to use some 2x2x0.25 sq. and weld something to it with a 1" hole in it for to attach the shackle.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Get a chunk of solid 2x2 then cut/machine/grind a "tang" into it and drill a hole for the shackle.

Basicaly the same as the WARN (and a couple others) unit.

Or I supose you could get a pice of 1x2 solid, then weld (2) pieces of 1/2" on each side to get your 2x2....

Or I think the WARN unit is only like $36 (or was it $60....)

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Here we go

This was made by me right after I got my Scout. Didn't know much about wheeling then and made this huge and heavy hook that would turn into a killer (literally) projectile if the pin ever broke. It's on my DD and I use it mostly to pull dead rigs around and help Midwestern's off the beaches of OR and WA:D. The mud is from me backing into a ditch a few nights ago. If I made one for a wheeling rig I probably would do something smaller and a bit more soild.

edit: the hook is off a motor from my Dad's work. They use them to lift the huge buggers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I took a piece of 2"x2"x1/4" and then shoved a piece of 1/8" wall tube inside it. I did two one I tapered the end of one for a shackle with a opening ok 1 1/2" and a 11/8" pin the other one has a shackle with a 2" opening but the pins only 5/8".

·
Registered
268 Posts
For years I used a home-built receiver 8-10" drop-hitch, flipped upside down, just throw the strap over it. No pics. It was a straight drop so it worked fine upside down, i.e. the strap didn't come off.

Mall-crawling hasn't required a rear tow-hook lately..... :flipoff2:

Edit: here's a link to the Warn shackle: Warn
One of the online places lists $42

R :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I don't get that, it's putting a mount in a mount. Just slide the eye of your tow rope in and slide the pin in - no hoaky metal contraption sticking out.. Suppose it may not be the best for a winch but then just use a tree strap to the winch cable

·
Registered
560 Posts
Brandon said:
I don't get that, it's putting a mount in a mount. Just slide the eye of your tow rope in and slide the pin in - no hoaky metal contraption sticking out.. Suppose it may not be the best for a winch but then just use a tree strap to the winch cable
I would think that you would have issues with the hitch cutting the strap.

I guess you could slide a chunk of hose over the strap to protect the strap.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
it is more round than 90% of the things you'd put it around - same as a D shackle or anything else..

·
Registered
60 Posts
when was the last time --you put 3" or 4" towstrap inside an class III receiver???

i agree its simple if your using 2" straps--but that isn't always gonna be the case

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hitches are for tow rigs. :laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts