Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be building a front bumper soon and I am trying to decide whether I want to make it really small to give me a better approach angle and just put a receiver hitch in it so that I could put a winch in the hitch in the front and the back or build the bumper big enough to mount a winch on it.

Has anybody had any experience with these receiver hitch winches? How annoying is it to have to get out and put the winch in the receiver? And what do you guys find to be more important, having a better approach angle or a winch always mounted?

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
They are a giant pain in the dick. Especially if you're still using regular cable, and especially when you're in a situation where you need a winch. I don't see how you'll be able to put a usable hitch in the front and have any more approach angle than if you were just to mount a winch on the top of the bumper in a non-dumbass fashion.

·
Registered
781 Posts
you get a much better angle by building a proper bumper than useing those fucked up things.

they also scare the fuck out of me, they add a shit load of leverage tot he hitch, they are usualy made out of super shitty metal, any winch bigger enough to actualy recover you vehicel is going to pull way harder tan the hitch is designed for especialy a front hitch.

fuck those things.
^ This X10. I did it to my truck (Ford ranger) when I built my bumper. I have cable run down with a quick disconnect plug. Granted, it's fairly simple to put on, but the bumper literally flexes when I go to recover myself or someone else (3/16" plate bumper WITH gussets everywhere). I will be building a new bumper to mount the winch directly to.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
^agreed with those guys!

Don't want to tarnish what you've done to that Ferd bro!! Don't do the hitch winch!!

I'm sure there are some decent winch bumper builds for the squared up Ford body you got, but I'm not familiar enough to find them here on PBB, so here is a similar one on a 1st Gen Dodge. :smokin:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/15387650-post197.html

Hope it helps your decision!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have my winch mounted on receiver tube on last 5 rigs. and use it currently on toyota for winter wheeling and samurai for summer. the ability to carry winch from back to front of vehicle is useful

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
For putting a winch on a vehicle that really doesn't need a winch, to use once in a great while, a receiver winch is pretty cool. For a vehicle that actually needs a winch, they pretty much suck. For having one winch that can go on my trailer, my tow rig, or my daily driver, cool. My wheeler has its own and the rest of my "fleet" shares the basket winch.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
like Scott said, on a minimal use rig, they aren't too bad. For a dedicated trail rig, they suck.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I kind of like the idea of a removable winch. For limited use, storage, security reasons they seem like they would be convenient.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
I just ran across this photo and thought of this thread. Looks like the guy built a removable hitch plate into the front of his rig. Pretty slick idea.

It is very had to tell from the side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts