Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought Id post up some pics of my recent projects Ive been tinkering with lately.

Ive been wanting to lift my fuel tank up ever since I did my body lift but every time I rolled under there to look at it I said to my self, John Wayne (thats what I call myself when I talk to myself) this looks like entirely too much work, lets go drink beer and surf the pbb. So anyway I finally droped the tank and decided to give it a go.

Specs 85 4runner 1" RB bodylift.
Here is a thread TNToy posted about his gas tank lift

this was the starting pt with out the skidplate on. ~21"


1st of all I droped the tank using a jack to lower it down, and set it aside.

Next after much head scratching and beer drinking I decided rather than cutting out the floor and building a new one Id try and push the stock floor up... Im really not too sure if this was a good idea or not but I stayed with it.

I made a few cuts in the floor board and one across the back of the seatpan.




Then from this point I put the floor jack under the rig and pushed up the bottom of the floor, I had to do alot of pounding with the sledge, and had to move the jack a zillion times, crawl into the back, measure, pound some more, ect ect.
So this is what it started to turn into.

The floor board is pretty well even with the drivetrain hump in the center, which is ~3.5-4" higher. The floor pan was relatively easy to shape and push up compared to the seat pan, the back of the seat pan is made of 3 pieces of sheetmetal bonded together, so it was kinda a bitch to form.

After getting all the sheetmetal pushed up as far as I could/wanted I formed the left over sheetmetal back up to over lap the cuts I had made and placed the jack back under the cut and pounded the seam together for welding.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I then used a 3M seam sealer similiar to this

to seal up the bottom seam on the underside and also smeared over the welds on the inside to help seal any pinholes,ect.



Then I test fitted the tank to check for interferences, and measure for bracket heights.

I torched the factory mount off the front that the tank bolted to the bottom of.

I mounted the tank ontop of horsecollar crossmember with a 3/4" spacer lifting it higher, some what like this


for the rear I cut a 2" strip out and moved it up then rewelded the pieces back together.


more to come... Is thiere a way to upload more than 5 pictures at a time?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now putting the tank up into its new brackets I ran into a few small problems
The brake lines running to the back along the inside of the frame had to be moved higher to clear the fuel tanks flange, I simply unbolted them and pushed them up. Along with this same braket the fuel line that comes down from the gas tank needed to bent out away from the tank just slightly. Crappy picture but you this is looking down untop of the tank.


In order to put the lid back on the fuel access door in the seat pan all the lines had to be slightly bent down. I simply found a roundish tool in the toolbox (a pair of pliars) and formed the lines around its shape.



Once it was all said and done I gained ~3.5" in the front and 2" in the rear. Raising the front of the tank up to be slightly higher than my frame rails which are 24". All of the original lines, electrical connections and hoses reached fine without modification.

Im mildly concerned about the tank being not level, but I think I can deal with it, plus my rig is slightly raked forward so it may not be as bad as I think. The pics I have seem to pretty much suck but this is what I got, ask questions if you want them cleared up more.

I am still figuring on what Im gonna due with the skid plate but Ill post up when I get it mounted up too.

Peace
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I got the factory skid all mounted back up.
While taking the factory skid off a one of the rusty bolts broke off and after spending too much time drilling holes in it and fawking around with easy outs I said screw it and only used the remaining two holes...:mad3:
So here they are.

I just cut out the factory spot welds on the front of the tank skid then I bolted the front section/bracket to the frame, held the skid it self up to the tank and molded/pounded the front bracket back into the skid and then welded it back together.


I had to notch out the bottom of the crossmember for the skid to clear.


The back was simply bolting it back on to all the original bracketry since nothing was changed back there.


I also had to redo my rear brake line bracket that I had previously relocated. Just a simple quick bracket


And with it all said and done this is what the final clearance came out to.


All in all Im happy with it but If I where to do it again Im pretty sure I would have just cut some big fawkin holes and replated them.
 

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top