Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We haul some oversize loads that I’d like to have a blinky light on.
I also need to be able to turn them on and off from the cab.
Sometimes we need run a few minutes past curfew or sundown to make it to a suitable truck stop and I want to be able to switch the lights off so as to not attract attention.
But sometimes the state trip permit routes us on two lane roads and running 11’6” wide on a two lane, id like some strobe lights on the widest part of the load, other than the lame beacon on the roof and back of the trailer.

Found a wireless switch and light

Now I need a small rechargeable battery that will run the light or two for 16-24 hours

Planning on using this

And this

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Don't know what power tools you use but there I recently learned here that they sell USB adapters to use tool batteries to charge things like phones. Could you adapt something like that? Be handy since you could pop it back in the tool charger or swap it when they run down

Battery adapter

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda looking for something smaller than a 18 volt drill battery
That will be easier to clamp / zip tie /bungee to the cargo

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The 2ah packs are pretty small.

What about a small jump pack with a built in cigarette lighter socket? Power your lights with a cigarette plug.
I haven’t seen a small jump pack with a cigarette socket
Just USBs

I have a small jump pack and the cables turn themselves off after a short amount of time

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Do you have one on hand to see how much it actually draws? Their specs say 16 Watts which is 1.3 Amps at 12 Volts. That would be 31 Amp Hours of power to run it for 24 hours.

Aaron Z

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I have one of these that I always keep in the vehicle. it has 5v usb and 12v cig lighter outputs and enough power to jump a 7.3 diesel (when warm). Also has an override button to defeat the auto shutoff features. Used it last night to power an aftermarket car heated seat pad in the lawn chair as it got a bit chilly camping. the wife loved it. It kept the seat heater at 150 degrees for about 2 hours and was half discharged. It should meet your needs and be handy to have for other purposes too. the regular price on them is ridiculous but they seem to come on sale for 50% off quite regularly. I think I have had mine for about a year now (maybe longer) and so far no issues - it has always worked when I have asked it to. My Grand Cherokee has a cig lighter plug in the hatch area - I just keep it plugged in there so it is always charged when I need it.

·
Window Licker
14,785 Posts
Tool battery seems like the most obvious for ease of recharging and swapping out packs. The jump pack would be a close second. You could just use a lipo battery pack, but it probably wouldn't have low voltage cutoff like the jump pack does.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
LiPO won’t survive that kind of use. LiFePO4 will, they are way easier to take care of. Power tool packs will still be the most convenient thing to use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I need to figure out how much current the lights draw
The strobe says in it's specs that it draws a maximum of 16 watts, so if running on 12 volts that would be 1.33 Amps max.
Let's figure it does not draw the max and draws 12 watts (1 Amp) on a 2Ah battery that would be just 2 hours!
With your desired run time of 16-24 hours, you will need 16 to 24 Ah battery.

Here is a link to a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery that may meet those needs: LFX24A3-BS12 Shorai 12v 24 AH PBEq LiFePO4 Power Sports Battery [+ -]

But if you don't charge a Lithium battery correctly, dibs on your stuff 💀
Bad charge on a Lithium video

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts

a regular D cell energizer battery will put out 1.5v and support 0.5 amp discharge for 6 Ah until flat. hell, run 3 D batteries and swap them out every shift or 6 D cells and swap them every other shift :flipoff2:

·
Registered
248 Posts

a regular D cell energizer battery will put out 1.5v and support 0.5 amp discharge for 6 Ah until flat. hell, run 3 D batteries and swap them out every shift or 6 D cells and swap them every other shift :flipoff2:
The strobe draws up to 16 Watts at 10-30 volts, better check your math. You will need more than 6 batteries to power.

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
ah, that is a thirsty light!

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
10 D cells would get you about 6 hours then. at ~$14 for a 10 pack, it wouldn't take long for the 50Ah recharge packs at $100 to be well worth while

·
Registered
248 Posts

a regular D cell energizer battery will put out 1.5v and support 0.5 amp discharge for 6 Ah
10 D cells would get you about 6 hours then. at ~$14 for a 10 pack, it wouldn't take long for the 50Ah recharge packs at $100 to be well worth while
But what about the battery only supporting a 0.5 Amp discharge, and you need more like an Amp? (Edit at 15v 0.8A)
20 Batteries series-parralell...LOL

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
But what about the battery only supporting a 0.5 Amp discharge, and you need more like an Amp? (Edit at 15v 0.8A)
20 Batteries series-parralell...LOL
guess i rounded down 😆

so yeah, 10 D cell banks in series to get to 15 V and then another bank in parallel to get to 1 amp discharge and it will probably be good for half a day :lmao:

buy a different light :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
there has got to be no way that light is actually drawing that much power, for just a blinky oversized signal light

1 - 20 of 30 Posts