Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868363&page=4 thread I am a little leery of just buying an off the shelf trans without getting some feed back on what works and what doesn't. Looking for a th-400 with a full RMVB to go in my new build. Specs are L33 5.3, 3.0 atlas, 9"s with 5.13s, and 39 BFGs. Are there major differences between something like ATI or Hughes? Are there other builders that are better than those 2? Who to get the TC from? Same company I get the trans from? As always budget is a concern but I would rather spend more up front rather than be rebuilding it after 2 races or worse replacing a motor due to a fubared TC. Auto transmissions seemed to have played a big part in people not finishing this years KOH and as I am planning to run endurance races with the new rig I want something reliable first and foremost.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Jimmy's 4x4 built mine and it worked great at KOH and had run 1 other race a few weeks before that. I am pulling it before Silver State just to go through it and am going to put one of the TCS converters in while it is out.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
in my opinion keeping the cooler suficient is big on the list- also warming the trans up before driving hard is even bigger on the list- Jess

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I am using a culhane tranny in my new Ultra 4 build by Woodley. Class operation and they build tranny's for Robby Gordon ( must be tough).

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
I have heard good things about them before. Anyone else running one?
I have been using and recomending Steve for 10 years. His shop is about 15 minutes from my house so that helps. There are two guys that build in the shop. One is Steve.:D There is absolutly not an inch of space left on the wall for pictures of the race cars they have built transmissions for. Its a awesome site to see.

·
Racing
837 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would not look at Hughes. At one time they were good but the builders are not what they used to be IMO. Got a $2700 T400 from them and it was trash in the first 50 miles of road use - assembly error they said. I returned it for a second one. This one had no compression braking. Hmm, wierd that doesn't happen hardly ever they said. Finally the third tranny worked - albeit with a very sluggish 1-2 shift but I can live with it for now. Would never use them again - 1 for 3 odds aren't good enough.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've heard good things about TCI. I just ordered a custom TH400 with RMVB and engine braking from them. I'll let you know how it works out. If you can live with an off the shelf trans like their model#212615 then you can save some cash by ordering though Summit. The 212615 is a RMVB without EB, a 300M input, 34 element sprag, forged steel clutch hub and Alto red clutches. Otherwise their custom built stuff is not too cheap...

212615 through Summit = $1800 ~
212615 with RMVB, engine braking, low gear set, ultra bell and die cast pan = $3200 ~ :eek:

Prices do not include a TC...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts