Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive done all my off roading in CA and AZ.

Moved to NY in 2018, and it seems the trail conditions up here will be a bit different than I am used to. It seems the trails will be a lot slicker.

My Jeep is due for new tires (33x12.50r15)

What works good up here?

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Any street duty? Anything that works out west likely works here with the exception of straight mud where a swamper that you also can't kill rules....It's more learning how to drive here than tire choice...Hardcore rigs around here run crawlers and treps. and others

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Street duty yes, but its not my commuter. Just sunday drives kinda thing. I could make Swampers work as mileage isnt the main concern.

We didnt have the mud/slick rock stuff much out west. I am unsure how it would effect tire choice out here.

It would suck to spend money on tires that would work "back home" to find out they suck out here.

Looking at a few different ideas right now

Cooper stt pro
Nitto Trail grappler MT
Milestar Patagonia (cheap, good reviews)
Good ol KM2s

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nothing works on wet granite.....Except momentum....The stickyer the better and tough is never a bad thing depending on how hard you wheel. I have had good luck with BFG's in the past, but no real input on the other brands....

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Props to OP for shitting up a state that already sucks. Most Californians try to shit up states that don't suck yet when they leave. :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Basically any tire that won't get packed full of mud will work of a trail rig.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I loved AZ, until it became Eastern CA (Prescott area).

Said, screw this, sold and bought cash. Ya, NY has PLENTY of issues, but lifes short and wanted to explore the east coast for a bit.

Gotta say though, for all of NYs bad qualitys, it helps a ton to live debt free in a small town of approx 2200.

I doubt Ill be a "lifer" here

·
Slab King
47 Posts
Get whatever is cheap and have it grooved/siped. Helps a ton when things are wet, dirty, muddy, mossy, etc.

A lot of guys in my local club run MTR/k's and KM2's. I see a lot of Trail Grapplers too.

I've run Dick Cepek Mud Country's, PitBull's, and Milestar Patagonias.

It's really just about adjusting your driving style and "finessing momentum" when things get slippery.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Ive got pitbulls on my cherocar tight now. Before that i had the old bfg's. Pitbulls seem to be working well.

Its more about having good shocks and keeping momentum as long as your tires clear well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been interested in the Trail Grapplers, but never ran a set. I have ran MTRs prior.

The price and good reviews on the Milestars make a compelling argument as well.

Currently the Jeep has some really old mud tires on it, I can not rememeber what though (not a big 3 brand) plenty of tread, but the rubber is hard and dry rotting.

The Jeep is setup well for techincal crawling with a 435 trans, so im guessing 2nd gear low may be the preffered gear out here.

It will be fun learning though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TSLs would be nice, but they are spendy! I thought they used to be a cheaper option back in the day.

Ive been out of the wheelin life for about 10 years raising kiddos and all.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,171 Posts
New York has the same mud/granite/clay/shale/quartz formations we get down here in Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma. We also get this stuff called Novaculite which is basically the least traction having shit you can imagine when it's wet. The tire I have found that seems to work really well across the board is made by Kenda. Their Klever MT is cheap, light weight, very tough, and hooks up incredibly well. I have run it on several crawlers as well as my tow rig. It's not a step down from other name brand tires. Kenda is actually a really well respected manufacturer in other motorsports.

You might check them out. I've never seen anyone around here be sorry they bought them. I've turned a half dozen guys onto them now. It's really too bad they don't make bigger sizes.

·
Slab King
47 Posts
Just chiming back in now that I have a few runs on the new Patagonia's -

They are god-awful on wet pavement at street pressure (slip under acceleration and braking much sooner than my pitbulls did) but so far the hype is real on these things off road.

Aired to 6-8psi they fold over everything and just go. Sometimes they'll give about a half turn or so of slip and then grab. I've been really pleasantly surprised, especially because I didn't think they'd hook up as well as the pitbulls did.

I got a set of 38x17's off the walmart webstore for >$200/ea so I'm extra happy with these so far, wet pavement traction be damned.

And as far as that goes, at 25-30 psi on the street, only about 60-70% of the width of the tire is contacting the ground. They have a rounder shape to the tread area as opposed to the pitbulls which were very square and had 100% of the width in the contact patch. I might try airing them to 20psi and see if traction on wet roads improves, but I also might not. The tire slip is entertaining, and it's only partially a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Just chiming back in now that I have a few runs on the new Patagonia's -

They are god-awful on wet pavement at street pressure (slip under acceleration and braking much sooner than my pitbulls did) but so far the hype is real on these things off road.

Aired to 6-8psi they fold over everything and just go. Sometimes they'll give about a half turn or so of slip and then grab. I've been really pleasantly surprised, especially because I didn't think they'd hook up as well as the pitbulls did.

I got a set of 38x17's off the walmart webstore for >$200/ea so I'm extra happy with these so far, wet pavement traction be damned.

And as far as that goes, at 25-30 psi on the street, only about 60-70% of the width of the tire is contacting the ground. They have a rounder shape to the tread area as opposed to the pitbulls which were very square and had 100% of the width in the contact patch. I might try airing them to 20psi and see if traction on wet roads improves, but I also might not. The tire slip is entertaining, and it's only partially a daily driver.
its good to hear the patagonias are doing well for you. I have them in a 40" for my SAS chevy when its finished up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts