Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is packin what??

I"m lookin for a carry gun. I want something relativly small ~4" barrel.

Sportsmans has a Kimber for ~600 bucks. I know an insane amount of money can be spent on 1911's but i'd like to stick to 600 bucks or under assuming a decent 1911 can be had..

I'm on a budget here. if 600 bucks is too cheap, i'll stick with my original choice of the XD

Whatcha' got?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
1911 = more than $600 for quality.

Glock or used Sig is your price range.
Exactly. I tossed a picture of the 19 up there because it fills every criteria he set perfectly: Barrel length, light weight, price, etc.

It is missing things you'll get from a $600 1911, though. Weighing a lot, revolver-like capacity, and jamming.

:flipoff2:

However, if you simply MUST have a 1911, and it MUST be in that price range, there's only one maker I'd consider. Springfield.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Spend 500 on a springfield GI commander.
Spend $30 and get two McCormik mags.
Shop around and you should be able to pick up 3-400 rounds of ammo.

Get some JB bore compound and Kroil. Mix up a paste of the two.
Disassemble pistol. Coat trigger stirrup, sear and trigger contact surfaces and reassemble the lower.
Dry fire 200 times. You want to push on the back of the hammer as you pull the trigger.
Put the paste on the slid and receiver rails. Install slide on receiver, no spring or barrel. Work slide back and forth 200 times.
If you have a dremel with a craytex rod polish up the ramp. The Springer has a integrated ramp in the barrel. Just polish the ramp, don't reshape.
Dissassemble and fully clean.
Oil well.
Head to the range and shoot all the ammo you bought.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spend 500 on a springfield GI commander.
Spend $30 and get two McCormik mags.
Shop around and you should be able to pick up 3-400 rounds of ammo.

Get some JB bore compound and Kroil. Mix up a paste of the two.
Disassemble pistol. Coat trigger stirrup, sear and trigger contact surfaces and reassemble the lower.
Dry fire 200 times. You want to push on the back of the hammer as you pull the trigger.
Put the paste on the slid and receiver rails. Install slide on receiver, no spring or barrel. Work slide back and forth 200 times.
If you have a dremel with a craytex rod polish up the ramp. The Springer has a integrated ramp in the barrel. Just polish the ramp, don't reshape.
Dissassemble and fully clean.
Oil well.
Head to the range and shoot all the ammo you bought.

Whats this supposed to do? i understand the polishing but the dry firing, the the other stuff... What problems am i trying to work out???? This pistol will be a CCW gun, is it going to be reliable enough??

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Also, if you want to spend a little more, the Springfield micro is a fantastic 1911. I got mine for under a grand on gunbroker with crimson trace grips.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Doesn't come in 4" but the Taurus Pt-1911 is a solid and inexpensive 1911. I got mine used for $425.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My carry is a Kimber Tactical Pro II,,4" barrel ,alum. frame,,most reliable pistol i own,I run Wilson mags and a Wolf spring kit in it

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I do not like mine. It has been nothing but unreliable.
I suppose it would be good for hitting someone in the head while it's jammed.
Feeding issues or what? Have you contacted Taurus?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Feeding issues or what? Have you contacted Taurus?
A variety of shit. I contacted them and sent it in for repairs.
They took 2 months to replace an extractor, It's easier just get the parts and fix it myself.
I just don't think that a new, well cleaned/maintained pistol should break every few hundred rounds.
It should run pretty good now, just about everything is replaced. But I don't bother taking it out of the safe anymore.

I'm guessing that yours works well.
So either I got the bad one, or you got the good one.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My carry is a Kimber Tactical Pro II,,4" barrel ,alum. frame,,most reliable pistol i own,I run Wilson mags and a Wolf spring kit in it
I dont know if it was the tactical pro II but the Kimber i handled at sportsmans felt good and looked decent.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
They took 2 months to replace an extractor, It's easier just get the parts and fix it myself.
I just don't think that a new, well cleaned/maintained pistol should break every few hundred rounds.
It should run pretty good now, just about everything is replaced. But I don't bother taking it out of the safe anymore.

I think you got a bad one :laughing: I've never heard of anyone having major issues w/ it. I will have to go dump another couple hundred rounds down range to make sure it's just you :flipoff2:

·
nights end here
3,315 Posts
i like the taurus for an inexpensive 1911. Its been nothing but good for me. I do love my kimber but you pay for quality.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts

I have sold 14 of them so far. Not a single complaint.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts