Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope i am putting this in the correct thread.

I am rebuilding a car trailer from 1995 that is pretty rusty. i am not planning to sandblast or prep the metal much at all. Color i am planning to go with is black.

My question is can you all recommend a one step paint or primer combo to put directly on the rust that will top the rust and coat it with a tough surface?

started looking into KBS coatings or P0R-15 but there are many choices when it comes to this stuff and wanted to see what you all had good luck with.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have used POR15 many times. Good stuff, just dont get it on you.

It will also want a top coat of some sort as it doesnt like UV much. Supposedly doesnt hurt it any, but it gets chalky.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Heard from a friend this gets chalky like Java said about the POR is that true?
I have heard this of the Eastwood Chassis Saver as well, Im guessing they are the same paints.

I just spray bombed the last POR job I did. Except the under side, it seems fine years later.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Write brush then scrub it down with phosphoric acid, found at most hardware stores, let it sit for a few hours then rinse it well, then paint it. The phosphoric neutralizes the rust. It's the same as the "etch and prep", or whatever it is POR15 uses.

If you don't neutralize/remove the rust, it'll pop out again in a year. Prep work is 90% of paint, I've seen well prepped rustoleum paint jobs outlast poorly done POR.

How long do you want it to last?

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Write brush then scrub it down with phosphoric acid, found at most hardware stores, let it sit for a few hours then rinse it well, then paint it. The phosphoric neutralizes the rust. It's the same as the "etch and prep", or whatever it is POR15 uses.

If you don't neutralize/remove the rust, it'll pop out again in a year. Prep work is 90% of paint, I've seen well prepped rustoleum paint jobs outlast poorly done POR.

How long do you want it to last?
^^^^^
Yep.

You don't need to top it with the POR HardNose paint, but I do recommend catalyzing a regular industrial enamel. Use acrylic enamel hardener from the auto body supply..with regular SherwinWilliams/Krylon/Rustoleum in the gallon or quart can.

Thin it with a bit of naphtha and either brush/roll it or Harbor Freight sprayer. They're on sale for $15 this week. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I POR15'd some rocker guards I welded up. I drove around in the rain before I painted them so they could surface rust a bit (actually just cuz I had a local wheeling trip I wanted to make, and it rained), then hit the easily accessible spots with a flap wheel and hit em with POR15 - no other prep. Other than where I hit them on rocks, the paint stayed on. The tops that were exposed to sunlight faded a bit. I did not use any top coat for UV protection, but should have.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
The tops that were exposed to sunlight faded a bit. I did not use any top coat for UV protection, but should have.
I POR'ed my car trailer, it got chalky over about a year's time. I knocked the chalky stuff off with 300-grit and then a scotchbrite pad and some soapy water, then painted over it. That was 4 years ago..it still looks good.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
I redid my car trailer a year and a half ago, wire brush in the 7" grinder, wipe down with acetone, roll/brush on rustoleum rusty metal primer then two coats of black rustoleum professional.

No rust has come through, cheap and easy to touch up. It does not look as nice as a powder coated trailer or one with a nice sprayed on epoxy paint but it is protected. If I did it again I might try adding the hardner to the rustoleum to get a bit tougher topcoat.

FWIW my trailer had a fair amount of surface rust simply because much of the underside had never been painted, I painted it before redecking so it had no bare spots when I was done, I figure if it had lasted 15-20 years with no paint then a half decent prep job and paint should get another 10 at least.

·
Damn kids
14,314 Posts
Black latex house paint from Ace.

This is a good four years old - stored outdoors - the only prep was wiping off loose dirt. That is not rust, it is dust.

IMG_4939.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Farm implement paint from Tractor Supply I painted a rusty car hauler right over the surface rust. Been 4 or 5 years and it still looks like fresh paint. Sits outside. Paint takes like 8 hours to dry though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts