Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a dump trailer, either 7x12 or 7x14. Bumper pull. Shooting for one that is a “10k gvwr” model to avoid any potential headaches with my state law enforcement officials, but I’m definitely fine with having heavier axles under it. It’s going to be used for mainly firewood, but also mulch, soil, sand, stone, and scrap metal. All the usual shit it’s nice to have a dump trailer for. It’s not going to see an enormous amount of abuse.

I crawled all over a few at the trailer dealership near me, and they had slim pickings. The big tex ones looked like they were assembled by drunken toddlers, the bri mar were slightly better. The “premier” brand ones they had seemed acceptable, but they were just shy of 1.5x the cost of the other 2. So what are some decent brands to look at? If I’m taking a bit of a drive to look at trailers at another place, which brands should I be looking for a dealer to handle in order to not completely waste my time with the same shoddy workmanship?

And is the scissor lift dump mechanism that big of an advantage over the traditional cylinder mounting? Or do they all just cheap out and use the extra leverage as a way to get away with running smaller cylinders?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Buddy has a 14k PJ dump trailer. Lasted quite a while hauling gravel for hire. Pretty hammered now, bent axles, stress cracks, popped welds ect now. I'd say it would have lasted an individual a lifetime with proper care and not overloading it.

Texas Pride has a great video on youtube about the different types of lifts. Single telescoping single cylinder seems to be able to lift the most weight, at least in their design.

I think you're going to find the welds on all of them lacking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Search. We just had a thread about this in December. Lots of good info in that thread.
Search here has aids. I’ll try using it again whenever you start using a Milwaukee grease gun. And that was in chit chat as linked below

Where are you located? I have a basically new 7x14 Maxxd that I might be willing to sell.
Pennsylvania, I believe the complete opposite side of the country from you. Thank you for the offer though

here you go
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/2692112-what-dump-trailer-can-hold-up.html

Our is holding up great so far. I did have to heat up a hinge and bend the door back into position. a concrete block got stuck under the door when he pulled forward and bent it up about a foot.
Thank you. I’ll have to give that a read here. And a big ass concrete block bending a door is definitely not something I would consider being the trailer having a fault.

Why bumper pull?

Quality wise, after months of looking at every trailer brand in Texas. I custom ordered a Delco.
Thank you for giving me another brand to check out. I want a bumper pull because I run a contractor topper on my gmt800. It makes it very impractical for me to run a fifth wheel or gooseneck. I’d have to empty all of my stuff out of the bed, then pull that heavy bitch off, and then at the end of the day stuff everything back together. Although a gooseneck would be better in every way, shape, and form, it’s not a better fit for me. The vast majority of the time the trailer will not be near its gvwr, so it’s not a huge concern anyway.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
If you go to Google, and type pirate4x4.com after your search key words, it will search the site for you and you don't have to use the site search function.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you go to Google, and type pirate4x4.com after your search key words, it will search the site for you and you don't have to use the site search function.
Wow, thanks for explaining the internet to me. I’m amazed that you found the time between tightening your tin foil and pumping grease by hand. I already posted the thread, get over it:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Even better is to use the google site specific search, open google and type - site:pirate4x4.com dump trailer

or whatever you're searching for. Adding "site:" will tell google to ignore other results and works for almost all forums.

Here is an example.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Back in December I got an 8x14 deck over 14k iron bull. Been happy with it. I haven't over loaded it much. Stick to around 10-11k on loads of base I've gotten. Dumps easy. No major defects in quality that I've found yet.

Only downside I have is the way the tongue and hitch are my tailgate hits it when down. But I prefer this trailer to the snake river and pj's we have at work, those are 7x14, I wanted a deck over for my needs. Beefier frame, power up and down pump. Compared to others power up gravity down. 12k jack instead of 7k. It's nothing spectacular compared to other brands I looked at, but i decided it was the best option in my area, because fuck driving 10+ hours round trip to get anything in my opinion

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
We have a 16' 14k PJ at work that's a few years old and already a rusty pile (never seen salt). Cracked welds, rust everywhere, it has the scissor lift on it, and still seems very weak, have stalled it out multiple times. My friend has the same size trailer by sure-trac thats the same age and it has way less rust and seems built nicer. The PJ design let's it sit much lower, but bc of this at full dump, the back of the bed is in the ground and you can't pull forward without dragging the trailer. :homer:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thats some dumb logic. Wont spend <$150 in fuel to buy the right $8000+ asset.
No, I'll spend the time and or money for the right reason. But most of the time the minor quality or cost difference is not worth it to me. I spend a lot of time away from home working, so when I have free time I prefer to spend it enjoying my hobbies or my home which I bust my ass to have. Not chasing deals or trying to get the absolute best quality trailer for the money, when I can just swing into town and pickup a perfectly fine one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whoop. Don't try to be helpful or direct the guy to something useful. :rolleyes:
Yeah, because that link you posted was so useful. No, wait, that was angelobunchofnumbers that linked something. Go back to gcc and post another 5000 threads about stupid conspiracy theories, whatever ridiculous book you are reading that makes you feel like the smartest guy in the room, or brag about how amazing of a business man you are for marrying into a horse people family.

Seriously, fuck off. You are a stupid twat and no one wants you around here. Go fix one of your blown up 6.0s or something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts