Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to do my Ball joints - 02 TJ d-30.

I have done some searching and the more I read the less I know what to buy :laughing:

I am finding threads saying Moog has gone to shit, which is what I would have bought. I also found a thread here about XRF from 2010, but a lot could have changed. I found a thread recently on another board praising Synergy (these - Synergy Suspension Ball Joint Set for 84-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, TJ Unlimited, YJ, Cherokee XJ, Comanche MJ & Grand Cherokee ZJ - Quadratec)

I have a press, I know what I am doing (sort of) just don't know what is good. I just want to do it once, and not have to worry again.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've got a set of Synergy ball joints on order. Everything I have read says sintered metal bushings is the way to go. More greasing, but much tougher.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Are Rubicon ball joints the same as the non-rubicon ball joints? This would be for an 04 Rubicon.
They should all run the same ball joints as they all run the same outters. Be aware there is a TSB out for some TJ front d30 housings that came out of alignment from factory that need special ball joints with camber built in. Synergy only sells the OEM non "adjustable" replacements unfortunately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I worked in a shop we always used Moog's "Problem Solver" line and never had issues, that said we didn't have too many customers that wheeled.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Synergy ball joints all the way. Very impressed with my set. Had them on a year or so now. They hold up great. Running 35's, been on Fordyce, Rubicon and that kind of stuff with them installed.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
In the same boat here. I don't mind spending the money for the poly joints, but I would like to hear feedback on the xrf's or if the moog problem solver joint is still available? My stock joints have 95k on them, 10k of that with 37's and are still fine. I'm just doing preventative replacement of the bj's and ub's. Axle specs are rubi44, rcv's, big pinion gears, TeraFlex crossover steering.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
My Synergy joints wore out faster than any joints I've ran. Moog have last me the longest.
A friend installed synergy joints in a ford hp44 and he had to come home on a tow truck from the first trip.... and they are the most expensive option that I'm looking at. Read reports of the standard moog line being junk and I did just have a FM tre go bad in less than 500 miles. I run 4" BS wheels and think that helps keep the bj's and tre's alive.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I don't see Spicer mentioned by anyone. What's the experience with Spicer ball joints?
My stock ones are still tight. Spicer's were a close second on my list. I went with the moog "problem solver" joints because I believe that metal bearing design is heavier duty. If the moog's don't hold up, I will go Spicer.

It is also my belief that those with chronic ball joint issues have a problem elsewhere; too shallow of a wheel bs, too much spacer, or alignment issues.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Get some with a lifetime warranty and replace them when they start to get some play. With the D30 ball joints, it pretty much doesn't matter what you use, they are going to wear out if you wheel. They really aren't bad to replace and can be done in an afternoon. My experience has taught me to buy the ones with the warranty and use the heck out of it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Get some with a lifetime warranty and replace them when they start to get some play. With the D30 ball joints, it pretty much doesn't matter what you use, they are going to wear out if you wheel. They really aren't bad to replace and can be done in an afternoon. My experience has taught me to buy the ones with the warranty and use the heck out of it.
I have to think the number of folks that look forward to replacing their ball joints annually is near or exactly zero, and that's the lifespan of the lifetime warrantee joints once you put big tires on and start beating on them. Not to mention how much everyone loves ending a day of wheeling early because some chucklehead wanted to save a few bucks with Crowns.

Spend the few extra bucks on Spicers, which will hold up to more abuse. If you're feeling like spending some coin and can commit to being religious about greasing, go with the Synergys for tires that size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts