Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
The shitstorm that happened in N.O. after Katrina is a very probable scenario as to what could happen in Houston if we got hit by a major hurricane.

My wife has been very adamant about not having guns in the house now that we have small children, but my neighbor just bought a monster gun safe, so I have somewhere that I can store the gun(s) that is safely out of reach of my boys. Before the boys were born I had a couple guns (9mm & .357), but got rid of them to make my wife happy.

Yes, storing a gun off premises doesn't protect me from random break ins, but having a gun in our house isn't going to happen. What it does do is give me easy access to protection if we have fair warning, such as in the case of hurricanes, etc.

So, based on that does anyone here have any recommendations? I'm guessing a shotgun would be a reasonable choice.

commence flaming.:p

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
A remington, browning, ithica, etc pump 12 gage with a mag extension, sling, and rifle sites. A surefire light mounted to it might be nice too. Keep a lot of slugs and buckshot for defense and some #6 shot for foraging. I think #6 will kill brocoli but #4 might be better.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Definately spoken like a single man :D
I might not be married, but my mom bitches about every gun I bring home.... I told her it's too bad.

As for womens...I picked better... My girlfriend was the one who bought my AR :smokin::smokin:

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
I might not be married, but my mom bitches about every gun I bring home.... I told her it's too bad.

As for womens...I picked better... My girlfriend was the one who bought my AR :smokin::smokin:
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: You sure showed your mom who was boss. And I've seen pics of you and your gf. As soon as she gets Lasik, you're shit outta luck. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Man that stinks for you. I thought you lived in Texas?

Anyway, I'd suggest a Remington 870 or an AK. If your wife still disapproves of your newly acquired arm, go to a small time woodworker and have him whittle out some new red mahogany stocks. That way, your wife might....might let you bring in the new furniture.

Houston.... I know
:laughing:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Go buy a gun safe. Bolt it to the closet floor while she's out of town.

There. Now thats spoken like a single man. (Yeah, I'm married. But my wife is indifferent to firearms, not afraid of them).

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Yeah, I'm married. But my wife is indifferent to firearms, not afraid of them
Our first date was actually going out to the shooting range and she's behind the gun business idea :smokin:

Though she did object to last months credit card bill :eek:

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Our first date was actually going out to the shooting range and she's behind the gun business idea :smokin:

Though she did object to last months credit card bill :eek:
The local rimfire and pistol indoor range has "date" night. 1 lane, 100 rds of pistol ammo, 2 dinners, and 2 targets are $45. :laughing:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
The local rimfire and pistol indoor range has "date" night. 1 lane, 100 rds of pistol ammo, 2 dinners, and 2 targets are $45. :laughing:
There's an indoor pistol range in Denver that does "ladies night" where womens' range fees are either half-price or free (I can't remember which). Date night sounds cooler, though.

I think my wife's sent more rounds downrange out of my AR than I have. :eek:

For reliable service and reasonable accuracy, I really like the AR; my AK is nowhere near as reliable, and is maybe half as accurate. Everything else I have is ancient wood-stocked bolt guns (and I hate wood) or handguns.

The apprehensive spouse presents problems for the shotgun (kick), the evil black rifle (it's an evil black rifle) and the handgun (think Skynyrd lyrics) similarly, assuming you intend to tell said apprehensive spouse about it (and I'm not going to advocate keeping it secret--that's a recipe for problems too). I'd suggest starting off with something smallish caliber (AR worked out really well for me in this regard, except that she more or less claimed it as her own) if you want a gentle introduction.

But philosophical suggestions aside, do you want a handgun, or a long gun?

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,324 Posts
Anyway, I'd suggest a Remington 870 or an AK.

870s are nice.. Or better yet, BUILD yourself your very own AK. It's easy. And I'd be more than happy to build another one to show you how it's done :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
How about dipping a gun in Plasti-coat then stencil "Crocks" on it.

Hell, I'll bet the wife would buy it for you. :flipoff2::laughing:

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
Go buy a gun safe.
That's what I was thinking??? Why the hell did you get rid of your guns instead of buying a safe. I don't care how inquisitive your kids are, thay aren't going to learn to break into your safe.

I bet your wife doesn't want you to have guns around PERIOD and used the kids as a way to convince you to get rid of them.

No chance she will let you buy another even if it's stored elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I've had guns in the house since the kid was born. She has played around with them a bit (under supervision of course) and treats them as no big deal nor mysterious at all. She now knows how to unload and load the security 6, knows how to tear down the AK (can't reassemble it though) and this weekend, she learns how to fill a mag. Then Monday, she gets to shoot her first .22 and see the AK in action along with my wifes first clips out of the high power I bought her. I'm probaly going to find her a old Llama 22 "luger" when I see another one in the next couple of years. She also target shoots a recurve bow and is actually really good with it.

Point is the more you hide things like this from your kids, the more mysterious it becomes and the more curious they get about them. Ignorance about them is how they get hurt. I took a 1 gallon milk jug full of water and the .357, put ear protection on the kid at 7 and showed her what a gun does. Scared the everloving shit out of her and from that point on, he respected them. I have no safe yet but, everything is either partially apart or trigger locked. I figure she will start going to the range with me after I build the sniper version of the SKS, she might even decide to shoot the thing.

I also am on the hunt for a youth gun safety course and have had no luck. Anyone know of a DVD or online one?

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
I've had guns in the house since the kid was born. She has played around with them a bit (under supervision of course) and treats them as no big deal nor mysterious at all. She now knows how to unload and load the security 6, knows how to tear down the AK (can't reassemble it though) and this weekend, she learns how to fill a mag. Then Monday, she gets to shoot her first .22 and see the AK in action along with my wifes first clips out of the high power I bought her. I'm probaly going to find her a old Llama 22 "luger" when I see another one in the next couple of years. She also target shoots a recurve bow and is actually really good with it.

Point is the more you hide things like this from your kids, the more mysterious it becomes and the more curious they get about them. Ignorance about them is how they get hurt. I took a 1 gallon milk jug full of water and the .357, put ear protection on the kid at 7 and showed her what a gun does. Scared the everloving shit out of her and from that point on, he respected them. I have no safe yet but, everything is either partially apart or trigger locked. I figure she will start going to the range with me after I build the sniper version of the SKS, she might even decide to shoot the thing.

I also am on the hunt for a youth gun safety course and have had no luck. Anyone know of a DVD or online one?

Truth

Mantis,

Has your wife ever fired a gun? I would humbly suggest that if she hasn't you get her to a range with a .22 and get her acquainted with firearms. A little trigger time may work wonders.

Aside from that I suggest a shotgun or carbine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts