Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a winch for my 2012 F350.

Initially I turned to Warn, the 16.5ti and adding the Warn wireless remote control. =$1900+shipping. (no synthetic line)
Then I looked at Superwinch, the Talon 18 SR. Can’t seem to find a wireless remote for the Superwinch, but it does come with synthetic line. =$1600+shipping.

Then I’m wandering around the net and find the Recon winches. The 17.5 Premium kit is $495+shipping including wireless remote, a snatch block and tree strap. (no synthetic line)

I’m like WOW, that’s nearly ¼ the price.
I have never been the guy who buys the cheap china product, always going with a premium product and it’ll last a lifetime. Get what you pay for kind of thing.
However, having just spent $54k on the truck and my list of accessories it needs right away is pushing $18k, saving nearly $1.5k on the winch seems like a good place to cut corners.
Also, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to find out that Recon is just a shell for the Chinese govt supplementing a Chinese company to it can break into the US market - just like they do with solar panels (driving US companies like Solyndra out of business.) It’s just hard to believe that they can do it for ¼ the price with out some help.

In my younger days I’d be 4 wheeling my Jeep 3-4 times a week, getting stuck, rolling it on it’s side, breaking things and whatnot was just a part of life.
It’s now 25 years later and I haven’t been stuck in 10 years. Chances of taking a $70k truck wheeling are like zero. Winch is just for emergencies, which ought to be very rare.
So that’s the setup.

Anyone have any feedback on these Recon winches? Yea, I know, cheap Chinese knockoff, but…

All input is welcome, thanks for your time.

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
First lets talk about 12 posts since 2008! Dang Brother, cat got your typin' fingers?! :D

Now that that's out of the way...I feel very strongly against Chinese crap on my stuff. I just hate being let down by my equipement. With that said, if it is a tow rig that might see one pull every year, then you would probably be ok just getting the one made by a 12 year old Chinese boy. On a trail rig that will see a lot of action, I would say no way, but your case is a bit different.

Sorry, I have nothing to add specifically about the recon brand...just my general .02 :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I feel the same way about Chinese crap...but still, cutting $1500 from the budget now would be nice.

Hoping to get some feedback from folks who have used this winch.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I have had a recon 10500 lb winch on the front of my buggy for over a year. I have had it covered in mud, completely submerged a few times, and some pretty hard pulls on it. The one thing I haven't had is a single problem with it. It's is just a bit noisy but has never let me down when needed

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had a Recon 10,500 winch on the front of my junk for about 2 years. I've used it quite a bit pulling myself and others. It is also used as a suck down/limiting strap. The selonoids froze up once, but after I disasembled it and tapped on the selonoids it's worked fine since. Mine came with synthetic line wich I've broke (isn't very durable). I'm going to try another synthetic line to see if it's any better.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I quit selling Chinese winches at our shop because of so many failures. One particular trip a 4dr JK rolled off a trail into a canyon, he had a Chinese winch. Three rigs went up the next day to do recovery, one had a Warn and two had Chinese winches. All three Chinese winches failed during the recovery and they were left with the one Warn winch to drag a 4 dr JK a couple hundred feet out of a canyon. Many times when you need a winch, you really need a winch. The Warn will be on your truck until you wear the truck out, and then it will be on your next truck. Even if the cheap winch works well for awhile, it won't come close to lasting as long as the Warn. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The Warn will be on your truck until you wear the truck out, and then it will be on your next truck. Even if the cheap winch works well for awhile, it won't come close to lasting as long as the Warn. You get what you pay for.
Truth. A winch that will last, is an investment.

I just sold a 20+ year old Warn winch that had been on about 6 trucks. It sold for more than the Recon retails for. I think I got my money out of it :smokin:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Looking for a winch for my 2012 F350.

Initially I turned to Warn, the 16.5ti and adding the Warn wireless remote control. =$1900+shipping. (no synthetic line)
Then I looked at Superwinch, the Talon 18 SR. Can’t seem to find a wireless remote for the Superwinch, but it does come with synthetic line. =$1600+shipping.

Then I’m wandering around the net and find the Recon winches. The 17.5 Premium kit is $495+shipping including wireless remote, a snatch block and tree strap. (no synthetic line)

I’m like WOW, that’s nearly ¼ the price.
I have never been the guy who buys the cheap china product, always going with a premium product and it’ll last a lifetime. Get what you pay for kind of thing.
However, having just spent $54k on the truck and my list of accessories it needs right away is pushing $18k, saving nearly $1.5k on the winch seems like a good place to cut corners.
Also, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to find out that Recon is just a shell for the Chinese govt supplementing a Chinese company to it can break into the US market - just like they do with solar panels (driving US companies like Solyndra out of business.) It’s just hard to believe that they can do it for ¼ the price with out some help.

In my younger days I’d be 4 wheeling my Jeep 3-4 times a week, getting stuck, rolling it on it’s side, breaking things and whatnot was just a part of life.
It’s now 25 years later and I haven’t been stuck in 10 years. Chances of taking a $70k truck wheeling are like zero. Winch is just for emergencies, which ought to be very rare.
So that’s the setup.

Anyone have any feedback on these Recon winches? Yea, I know, cheap Chinese knockoff, but…

All input is welcome, thanks for your time.
So you can afford a $54K truck and want to buy a Chinese winch? Just making sure I got that straight. That is just as bad as Mitt Romney being worth $200 Million and sticking half in offshore accounts in the Cayman islands and only paying 15% taxes a year.
You should have bought a $30K truck if you wanted to put all kinds of after market stuff on. Save your damn money and support American products and vendors on Pirate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey man, I totally agree on the Chinese thing. On the other hand, even though Warn/Superwinch is a USA company, is it actually made here or are they really made in China like everything else in this Walmart world mentality.

Heck, I'm sure more than half that $54k Ford truck I ordered is made in some foreign cess pool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts