Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oportunity to grab some general tire grabbers for my f250 at a great deal. There not DOT stamped but I've seen them go through hell and survive. Any one have experience running red label tires on the street or for that matter anything heavy? They are radials and the sidewalls are very thick. The compound isn't super sticky were all the tread would be gone in a day either. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I have an oportunity to grab some general tire grabbers for my f250 at a great deal. There not DOT stamped but I've seen them go through hell and survive. Any one have experience running red label tires on the street or for that matter anything heavy? They are radials and the sidewalls are very thick. The compound isn't super sticky were all the tread would be gone in a day either. Thanks for any input.
i've heard good things about grabbers, no experience with a red label tire, though, sorry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know anything about red label tires, but we have a set of Grabber AT2 on my dad's WJ. They are noisy, very noisy.

On the other hand, the BFG ATs I have on my XJ are whisper quiet, after 7000 road miles.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've run two sets of red label krawlers on the hwy for extended periods of time on a 5k lb rig and while it works, I wouldn't recommend it for a DD. Keep looking.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
NON-DOT approved tires on the road is illegal.

What you are proposing to do is illegal, and this thread is going to get closed down for discussing illegal activity... ;)

And, FWIW I would never run non-DOT (illegal) tires on the road no matter how light or small the rig... one blow-out caused accident either with yourself or including someone else and your insurance won't cover it, and you could go to jail or worse die.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tire ?

An F-250 would do well to have 285/75/16 (e) tires rated at 3750 @ 80 psi Perhaps 20 or so different types from AT to extreme MT and forged rims like ALCOA. If running steel rims make sure they are rated for the load too. Nothing like a great tire mounted on a wide rim that can't take the load.

Narrow tire like the 255/85/16 (e) is the next size of tire w/heavy load ratings.

Tire load rating tables at different psi should be something to study when considering up-fitting any vehicle to expedition service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts