Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Mobil 1 motor oil for several years in my vehicles. I have run Mobil 1 oil from day one in my TJ and also run it in both diffs. The front has a Tru Trac and the rear has a full Detroit. The time to change all the fluids is approaching and I need some input from the group. I plan on changing both diffs, the 5sp tranny and the transfer case as well as the motor oil. Should I stick with Mobil 1 or switch to one of these products. I have read good things about Redline motor oil and their shock proof gear lube but don't know anybody who uses Red Line products. Are they good and do they work? Can their products be safely used in a 2000 TJ, 6cyl, 5sp? I have also heard and read the claims of Amsoil but don't know much about their products either.

I also have two daily drivers that I would switch over to one of these oils if the benefits were/are real. One of those daily drivers has over 103,800 on the clock and it has only ever had Mobil 1 in the crankcase. Any input from the group would be great.

Thx

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
can you harm an auto by running the racing redline in it. They say it just doesn't contain the slip additives and gives firmer shifts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why would you even consider changing oil brands when you've found something that works, is relatively cheap, readily available and easy to use ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I build race ATV engines all day long, and I only use amsoil and redline in my motors... the only amsoil I use is the 2 stroke oil, which obviously wouldnt help you out. As for redline, the lightweight shockproof is all I run in trannys of my race motors. It's a lot different that regular oil in the fact that it sticks to everything in your motor... if I drain the oil in a motor, and let it sit for 6 months or even a year with just the oil residue in it, I can pop the side cover off and there's still oil all over everything. it doesnt drip down and sit in the bottom of the motor like all other oils. Ive also tried the redline diesel oil... they say it can run 15000 miles before you change it! I have complete faith that redline oil is some of the best stuff out there, and I'd definitely recommend it to you. the only drawback is the price, but I think its worth every penny.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Forget the price...when you're protecting a two or three thousand engine, it's insignificant. My question would be what would this do to oil journals, oil pumps, pressure gauges, etc. those are designed for certain viscosity and weight oils...? How would they be affected by a drastically different oil with much different properties ? Would love to hear from an automotive engineer with lubricating & petroleum expetise. I've been thinking about Amsoil myself, but I'm hard to change or convince unless those important questions are answered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cost isn't an issue, protection is. I am looking for the best protection and performance from an oil that is possible. I am very satisfied with what Mobil 1 products I am using but if there is something that will protect better and give better performance available in the market then I want to use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts