Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around a bit with no luck, also called around to some stores, still no luck. I am trying to figure out what redline product is best for, transmission, transfercase, diffs, and engine. Here is what i have, what is everyone else using and does this look correct? Amounts look correct? Tried to find toyota specifications but could not find anything on the amounts except for other vehicle models. anyone have any links for toyota specs? was going to buy a manual but do not really feel like dishing out $120.

for 88 4runner v6, 5sp, dual cases, 85 front axle

Transmission: RED LINE 75W90NS GEAR OIL - 3qts
Transfer case: RED LINE 75W90NS GEAR OIL - 3qts (dual case)
Diffs: RED LINE 75W90 GEAR OIL - 3qts (front & rear)
Engine: RED LINE 10W40 MOTOR OIL - 6qts

Links to the 2 gear oil types, one has friction modifiers the other does not.
RED LINE 75W90NS GEAR OIL
http://pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=5644
RED LINE 75W90 GEAR OIL
http://pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=5640

Thx,
Brian

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
all fluids are listed in a Haynes manual for like <$20

I'd go AMSoil myself

·
Registered
474 Posts
Your trany would take the MT-90 its a GL4 not a GL5 like the 79w90ns

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'd say MTL or MT90 in the tranny, GL5 everywhere else

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yeap,Mobil One it is.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
can't see any benefit to put MTL or MT90 in the case, as there's no synchros. tranny and t-case shouldn't be sharing oil anyhow...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
RedPlastic2p3t said:
use mobil one super syn its easier to come by and cheaper than redline and preforms just as well
I've used several different oils (including Mobil 1 Synthtec) in my 5-speed and t-case and there is no comparison to Redline MTL. MTL completely removed all "knotchiness" during shifts and noticeably quieted the gears and reduced the heat. It's worth every penny! I HIGHLY recommend it!

Gnarls.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
redline is pirate4x4.coms newest advertiser so since they are helping to keep this board up and running click on their banner ad next time you see it. check out their site , it has alot of great tech and info.

click click click :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Gnarly4X said:
I've used several different oils (including Mobil 1 Synthtec) in my 5-speed and t-case and there is no comparison to Redline MTL. MTL completely removed all "knotchiness" during shifts and noticeably quieted the gears and reduced the heat. It's worth every penny! I HIGHLY recommend it!

Gnarls.
Ditto. I'll never run anything else in my tranny and t-case.
:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
kyle_22r said:
can't see any benefit to put MTL or MT90 in the case, as there's no synchros. tranny and t-case shouldn't be sharing oil anyhow...

I have MTL in the trans and gear oil in the t-case (mostly cause I'm a cheap-ass), but I agree that it would not accomplish anything to have it (MTL) in the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts