Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im at a tossup here guys. IM building my CCLB F350. I have my old bed, and i have a 1600 lb 4ft deck rail style liftgate I can put on. Just need to recess the receiver hitch a bit.

Or do i build a wooden deck flatbed with removable sides, and run one of those HF 1000 lb cranes (i got one for 30 bucks with 2000 lb electric winch for another 50). and mount that behind the cab over the frame rail?

Both have pros and cons. I just really dont know what to do!
I use the truck for general truck stuff, haul firewood, scrap, drywall, tile, engines, axles etc.

what you guys think??

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
A liftgate vs a crane are good for different things. Think about what you want to be able to pick up regularly and how you'd do it with each one of them. Pick the one that works best for your needs.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Flat beds work great for throwing thing on from the sides, or large awkward loads. They suck for hauling anything that isn't tied down. If you put removable side boards on the flatbed, you can overcome that issue.

Lift gate may be easier to load larger items.
Maybe figure out how to mount the lift gate on a flat bed...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can mount the liftgate on the flatbed but would look funny with this massive tall thing hanging off the back. Onl yissue with my liftgate-the max height the rail can be from the ground is only 13", also, i would need to tuck my hitch in closer to the frame as the gate would hit it on the way down. Its one of those old DEL units that goes to commercial dock height.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have a normal style tommy gate on my 250. One of the best investments I didn't spend anything for. It works great for boxes, most tool stuff, even picked up my 800lb miller tig like a boss. Anything on wheel or that you can get a hand truck or dolly under is game.
wide

Main thing where it sucks is the longer stuff. Axles, longer heavy metal, crap with wide legs (radial saw comes to recent memory). If you have a 4ft model that would fix quite a few of those.

HF Crane is definatly easier to mount but I would hate a flat bed. Having to tie absolutely everything down would get old.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pros and cons, pros and cons! impossible to decide lol.

Im going to sell my current lift gate i think. Im not down with having the guide rail only 13" from the ground. First forest trail I go on it iwll get hooked on something.

For sure a lift gat eis aweosme for 99% of stuff. Garden tractors, anything that can be put on a dolley like you said. Frig guys i dunno!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eh i dont like that gate, its just a lil baby thing and cant fit aything bigger than a drum of oil.
with mine i could fit my whole garden tractor on it and lift it up. I gotta see if i can get away with a shorter guide rail...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I didn't weigh any of this stuff, but I'm pretty sure it was a lot more than an oil drum:

. .

And a liftgate can't do this:

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
I have the HF crane on the back of my flat bed. It is one of the better investments I've made.
had one at a old job on the back of a s10 worked great. after like 4 years of being parked outside it started to chew up o-rings, but we used to use it to pick up 55 gallons of oil. it would twist the heck out of that old s10 frame but never broke the crane

·
Registered
949 Posts
had one at a old job on the back of a s10 worked great. after like 4 years of being parked outside it started to chew up o-rings, but we used to use it to pick up 55 gallons of oil. it would twist the heck out of that old s10 frame but never broke the crane
Not the best picture, but here is my setup:

My Orings finally gave out after 4 years. It was literally a 5 minute repair including walking across the shop to pick up the 21mm impact socket and e impact wrench.

1. Pull the cotter pin
2. Push out connecting rod and flip pump handle back
3. Spin off pump to with impact
4. Remove single Oring
5. Match Oring to HF vitron Oring kit ($3.90 for 300 Orings)
6. Reassemble in reverse order
7. Eat bacon for the win

Back to being as good as new. I still have 10 of the correct size Orings for when it starts leaking again. I may need to do the cylinder at some point but right now it is fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts