Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 161 Posts

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
Why upgraded everything but kingpins?
Who's having problems with kingpins? The only real weak link in their design is solved by a spring eliminator kit and bronze bushings. Balljoints are notorious for giving people grief though, even the high-end ones. The SD's lower balljoint is only a little bigger than a D44 balljoint, and isn't the upper BJ the same size as a D44's?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm guessing someone that wanted to use live spindle could bypass the ford unit bearing and use either Dynatrac o Spyntec free spin spindle/hub instead?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm guessing someone that wanted to use live spindle could bypass the ford unit bearing and use either Dynatrac o Spyntec free spin spindle/hub instead?
There is no reason to use a spindle.

You would be working backwards using inferior parts like brakes and such.

The spidertrax Ultimate Unit Bearings are everything in one, and fully rebuildable. Looks like big money at first, but for all the parts you get, it's really a good value.

Ultimate Unit Bearings

Nat

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
The Spidertrax UB's are for 99-04 axles. The Reid knuckles are for 05+ UB's. Thus, the Spidertrax UB's do not fit the Reid knuckles.

I'm betting Spidertrax has a plan for 05+ UB's in the future though.

·
Vendor
11,806 Posts
There is no reason to use a spindle.

You would be working backwards using inferior parts like brakes and such.

The spidertrax Ultimate Unit Bearings are everything in one, and fully rebuildable. Looks like big money at first, but for all the parts you get, it's really a good value.

Ultimate Unit Bearings

Nat
This... And don't forget the smaller stub shaft.
The Spidertrax UB's are for 99-04 axles. The Reid knuckles are for 05+ UB's. Thus, the Spidertrax UB's do not fit the Reid knuckles.

I'm betting Spidertrax has a plan for 05+ UB's in the future though.
Pretty sure Spidertrax is working on a 05+ version. Build it, and they will come :D

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
yea i read it but the way its written slightly confused my dumbass :homer: i wasnt sure if they were somehow using their bronze upper bushings on the lower, i havnt had a problem with the stock lower bearings but others have.
This is nice, I'm glad they stuck with the king pin, however with all the bearing and seals available I wonder why they stuck with the stock sized lowers?
I've worked on a few 05-10 F350's and I'm not convinced that old school kingpins are stronger than the factory ball joints.
Who's having problems with kingpins? The only real weak link in their design is solved by a spring eliminator kit and bronze bushings. Balljoints are notorious for giving people grief though, even the high-end ones. The SD's lower balljoint is only a little bigger than a D44 balljoint, and isn't the upper BJ the same size as a D44's?
I can't find this post at this moment. I remember this guy having problem with the lower bearing failing.

I'm sure aren't many have problem with them but this super kingpin knuckles are for the "big guys" crowd, so I kinda can see how they can become an issue?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Sounds a bit like the spindle conversion/ anti-unit bearing marketing stigma from just a few years ago and look at where we are now. I know some racers are having issues with the early super duty ball joints, but that knuckle assembly is different than the 05+ axles that these Reid parts are patterned after. That same knuckle spread that gives kyoder (and reid) confidence in the stock kingpin and bearing, also help the ball joints put up with a hell of a lot of abuse. Watch some Dale Larsen videos on youtube, aside from rcv shafts, that is a stock 05+ axle.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks tight for the boot.
There are a number of factors that place limitations on the clearances including the variety of joints people will use, strength optimization, the desired steering angles, casting & forging shifts, and aftermarket parts standards. We worked with several companies to ensure parts compatibility, including RCV who actually provided us with axle drawings around which we designed these knuckles. Fitment looks tight because the size of these components in photos throws off the visual scale, but there is plenty of room. We have a new machining fixturing technique which will ensure that any variance in the raw C forgings does not affect boot clearance on the finished parts.

Why upgraded everything but kingpins?

You said it will be for people who "need something much bigger" but looking at lower kingpin's bearing specifications I think the big guys will be pushing them beyond their specifications.
There are countless rockracers, bouncers, and mud trucks that have been punishing our Kingpin 60/70 knuckles and Cs for years, and the kingpins have proven to not be a weak link. Guys like Kevin Yoder who consistently break every other axle component aren't having problems with the kingpins. We have numerous dealers who are the industry's top axle builders, and we've received unanimous support from them for a kingpin design rather than ball joints. We also already make a ball joint highsteer knuckle for the Super Duty outers, so that niche is already covered for customers who would rather use ball joints. With the bigger spread between the kingpins and some other design upgrades, we've increased the overall strength of the current kingpin hardware far beyond what any ball joint design offers.

As stated earlier, the invention of spring eliminator kits and our bronze upper kingpin bushing have addressed the only real weak link in the 60/70 kingpin design. If the current kingpin parts eventually become a problem there is still a lot of room for further development of aftermarket upgrades, which should also be fully compatible between our new knuckle assembly and the Dana 60/70 since we've adopted an industry standard design.

Absolutely. Anything that works on the Super Duty knuckle should work with these. (Note that Ford changed the brake calipers in the 2012.5 model year.)

This... And don't forget the smaller stub shaft.
Lots of clearance in the rocks - no hubs to get hung up on trail obstacles.

Pretty sure Spidertrax is working on a 05+ version. Build it, and they will come :D
We of course spoke with our buddies at Spidertrax when we were designing these knuckles. They ought to be able to provide you with an update on their larger 2005+ form factor Ultimate Unit Bearings. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
I have never seen a lower bearing failure. But I have seen the bearing race get ripped out of the stock 60 lower. Usually due to high load impact (hitting a tree, etc..)
Yes, I found there are 2 different inner C's in the 60's; a std and a lighter (not including the early Dodge/Ford and Dana 70, which are the same with different bores).

I do feel as long as there is enough material around lower bearing (like a heavy stock or aftermarket) there is no worry.

I do wish that the aftermarket goes away from the upper kingpin and goes to a bearing like the Welder Boy or a stock Toyota.....

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
I do wish that the aftermarket goes away from the upper kingpin and goes to a bearing like the Welder Boy or a stock Toyota.....
id much rather have the kingpin and bronze bushing then a bearing

the toyota guys swap out the bearings for trail gears king pin style bushings

ive ran both and never had a problem, ive blown plenty of bearings in the toyota knuckles though.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts

ive ran both and never had a problem, ive blown plenty of bearings in the toyota knuckles though.
Ohhh okay I didn't know that. Good to know...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

I don't understand why that is? The lower ball joint or king pin takes the majority of the load. So if the same bearing was used as the upper I would think it would be over kill if anything. Shimming to get preload right would probably be more critical I would think, like you have to do on a stock Toyota. Not calling BS, but it doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
I don't understand why that is? The lower ball joint or king pin takes the majority of the load. So if the same bearing was used as the upper I would think it would be over kill if anything. Shimming to get preload right would probably be more critical I would think, like you have to do on a stock Toyota. Not calling BS, but it doesn't make sense to me.
id simply rather have a kingpin style bushing in place of a bearing where ever possible, the knuckle is not continuously spinning at a high rpm so there is no point in a bearing imo. there are far less moving parts to wear out and/or break, a bearing has many more moving pieces to it, the kingpin is just a simple design which i prefer. preload is very simple with springless high steer arms, which is beneficial as parts wear you can adjust it, i would think preload would be MORE critical running bearings(again more moving parts to fail, race and rollers etc) vs a kingpin

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i would think preload would be MORE critical . .........
Sorry I wasn't very clear there. I was trying to say preload would be more critical with a bearing vs. bushing, but that's the only negative imo. I'd think the upper bearing would be stronger and wear longer if maintained. In the end it's not like you see a lot of bushing failures.

61 - 80 of 161 Posts