Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, wrong board, but this is where this'll be seen by those who can help, right?

My front axle case is bent. With about 350 pounds more weight to be added between a cummins and an NV 4500, and eventually a winch, I need a heavier axle case. Anyone in the vicinity of BCB (Paso Robles) have a reinforced rover axle case they can part with? I've found a couple, but they are 1000 miles plus away....

OS, thanks for leaving this up as long as you allow!
:D

Simon

·
Registered
183 Posts
With about 350 pounds more weight to be added between a cummins and an NV 4500, and eventually a winch, I need a heavier axle case.
can't help directly, but I think what you are asking for is a reinforced axle housing, not an axle case. I also don't want to dog your project, but I think you are looking at a lot more than 350lbs of added weight (hope you are addressing springs too).

- The NV4500 is going to add about 50 lbs over stock to your front axle (and an equal amount to the rear) based on a between axle mounting.
- The winch is going to add at least 70 lbs to your front end due to its extreme forward mounting/moment arm. You are really probably looking at 120 lb moment on that front axle.
- The smallest 4 cylinder cummins is going to add at least 350 lbs to your front axle.

Bottom line is that you are looking for at least 470 lbs to that axle and probably a lot more (600 lbs).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Axle housing

Yeah, axle housing. Sorry, should have written more clearly. I was saying *about* 350 lbs additional weight not counting the winch.

Yeah, I have two leaf parabolic fronts with an added leaf from a local spring shop - I think it was made from a chevy leaf - not sure now. If they aren't sufficient, I'll deal with it.

Front salisbury ain't in the cards right now, and I think a reinforced rover front will be sufficient, since I run wussie tires.

Anyone who *can* help directly?

Simon

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yo Simon,

Ahem.

:flipoff2:

Can't you just get Timm to truss up a regular rover housing? I've got a mint one here if you want it, however I'm a little far. It's ready to go however (clean, straight, no dents, not too rusty, no front cover damage). I've been thinking of the same issue for my fat pig. I was actually discussing this with him last night.

This HD axle housing - is this a standard rover thing, or something that someone would have built? I've never heard of a HD rover housing... But then again, I'm a newb :D

My trussed front axle took about 2 hrs to manufacture, and it's straight. Ish.

Oh yeah, Busto. Axle case. Axle housing. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know what the fawk he was talking about. The language police is damn handy sometimes. :flipoff2:

J-L

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newbie for a reason

Yeah, J-L, I talked to him about trussing one, just thought it might be cheaper to find one and send it down, but its kinda turning into a PITA, and I may just have Timm beef a regular *housing* up for me. At least with that, there's no uncertainty about what I'll be getting, versus buying something sight unseen.... I've been there. Didn't like it.

Yes, its a rover part. Has a reinforcement stitch welded to the housing. But, (and its a big but), this is what I've been *told*, I've never seen what I knew was one of these axles before.

Glad to read you finally talked to Timm.

Simon
Oh, and:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
They do exist.

I have seen one. Don't bother looking it is nothing special. Just get some c section cut at an angle and weld it up yourself.

If you need a stock housing I have one off a 109 but . . . it is far away from you.

Ron

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Simon, are you mocking my career choice with your sig line?

:flipoff2:

So I guess it's kinda like a rear housing truss on a front one? My 109 had a trussed rear housing, which is stock I believe.

I'd just say screw it, it's not flex, it's "auto adjust camber".

J-L

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I also have one from a stock disco so probably wouldn't help you much and I'm also on the other side of the nation right now and soon to be on the other side of the world so if you need it get a hold of me quick.

-ben

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cleanup on Aisle nine...

J-L: No, its a quote from the movie Repo Man, the best movie Emilio Estevez ever made - which is not saying much. Are you a grocery clerk?

Just talked to a guy who said he had a reinforced rover axle - a rear one, so if he wasn't full of a brown smelly substance, then yeah, I guess it is the same as the rear ones....

Ron, Ben, thanks for the offers, but I'm trying to find one closer. I found one in Seattle, now all I gotta do is figure a way to get it to BCB, since the guy won't ship.:rolleyes:

Simon

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
like was previously mentioned, why not just truss the one you have? would probably be a lot stronger than a factory HD one.

when are we going to see some pics, btw :flipoff2:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya'll pitchin me sheeit, and sheeit.

Hmmm. Well, I talked to Timm. He says it would be cheaper to find the housing and send it to Cally via cheap UPS or Greyhound. Maybe it would. I have a line on one for $125. Gotta arrange shipping. Timm has a housing he'll sell me for $50.00, but then I gotta pay him to do the work to reinforce it... But once the PITA factor of locating a reinforced one and getting it to Paso Robles is taken into account, I am leaning toward asking him to make one.... And yer right, It would likely be stronger, and I'll know what I am getting.... OTOH, BCB has its hands more than full already.

Pics? Software snafu is holding them up. First thing every morning, I check my email, like a kid on christmas morning.

So long, I gotta go to de courthouse.

Simon:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Grocery clerk? Bwahaha!

Damn no! I did stack a lot of cans a long time ago, while working as a Pizza guy. Who knew they used so much sauce!

What, were you expecting a logical answer? :D

9V - his is bent. That's why it's gotta be replaced. Timm probably wants to save himself the trouble and asked him to get a trussed one. Unfortunately no one has a good trussed one, and the only people who do are too lame to ship it.

Oh yeah - that mint housing I had - Not mint. Went out and checked it and it's pretty rusted inside from sitting under the deck. I just held onto it for when I'll return to series swivels, if I ever do.

J-L

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahhhh, well, now I need a cigarette

I hope it was as good for you guys as it was for me....

Got one, and will have it on the UPS truck next week. About the same price as paying to have one made, and less time.

Thanks for the help and the usual pimping guys. I wouldn't feel welcome without it.:D

Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts