Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well it started as a cold weekend for our neck of the woods. Its was 16 in the morning...Sunday was cold also but in the afternoon it warmed up into the the 40-50s range so with the shop open Overhauler and I went to town and and in less than 2 hours everything was out!
IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG
That SM420 looks so dinky compared to the NV4500!

IMG_0120.JPG

Test fit the tub on the new frame. One minor glitch on the left slider which will require moving it forward 1 inch. Its only tacked . Not bad for building an entire frame separately from a complete crooked rig I thought.

IMG_0112.JPG

·
Ford Bigot
4,109 Posts
Ralph,

Are you stretching the wheelbase? I was unaware that your rig needed any sort of improvement? I see overdrive and syncros (NV4500).

What's the planned wheelbase?

Do you plan on going to the dark side like Kramer and fuel injecting the new and improved Glow Stick?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Ralph,

Are you stretching the wheelbase? I was unaware that your rig needed any sort of improvement? I see overdrive and syncros (NV4500).

What's the planned wheelbase?

Do you plan on going to the dark side like Kramer and fuel injecting the new and improved Glow Stick?
GLOWSTICK :lmao:

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
" Glowstick" ...thanks Jeff! actually it may? change colors?

Stretching the wheelbase from current 89" to 97" so I can fit the NV in and hopefully an electric fan so I can shut it off for those water crossings. As for the FiTech injection....I sure hope so but finances may slow that as I need new rubber for those 17" wheels first. Trying to coordinate that so I can peddle those 39.5 TSLs off soon.

Got a lot of travel coming up in January/Feb so have to get ahead of the 8 ball.

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well finally got the whole mess together...yeah I missed posting a couple steps

IMG_0137.jpg
Its a pretty big chunk altogether!

IMG_0135.JPG

Kind of sitting in the correct position. Some wrestling is necessary to fit it in the right spot. Need to drop it down some to get a better driveshaft angle but is pretty close otherwise.
Be plenty of room for an electric fan now! Got a Mark VIII on its way!

Engine mounts and crossmember next. This time the skid plate will not be the trans mounting point. Trans mount will be separate.

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ok , yeah I know I suck at updating this....been working on this pretty hard trying to get done before the snow melts.....but with so much snow on the Con there's probably no rush
IMG_0181.JPG
So I had to notch the frame to use shorter shackles . This allowed the kingpin to rotate forward more getting my caster a bit more normal - 6-7 degrees.
50967544977__1A60405B-2607-411C-A08A-9F700D9B45A1.jpg

Then I finally found some buckets for the 5-3/4" LED headlights to use in the GPW grill since I didn't have anything
IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG
So I got the top of the frame painted using KBS Coatings Rust Seal Satin Black. This stuff kicks ASS! It flows like nothing I ever brushed before. It is smooth as glass and this stuff is like POR-15 . Brake fluid resistant . I got 2 quarts and barely used like a cup.

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
IMG_0199.JPG
So ended up making a cradle to hold the light bucket and made it adjustable in height . The light can be shimmed left or right with washers.
IMG_0216.JPG
This stuff rocks!
IMG_0215.JPG
This warning on the can says it all...it definitely doesn't come off
IMG_0214.JPG

21 - 40 of 183 Posts