Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm a complete and total newb to reloading... I know nothing...except that when you're done they should go bang when in the proper weapon :laughing:

If I wanted to start reloading say .223, .30-06 and 9mm where would I start? What all does reloading entail? Should I just go google this?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
In the past I`ve suggested starting out with a single stage press and learning the ropes the old fashioned way. Now my opinion is that if you plan on reloading multiple calibers, just buy a Dillon RL-550B and your set-up as far as good solid press goes. You`ll probably never buy another. Pick up the video for the press and watch and learn. Any reloading manual put out by the big three, (Sierra, RCBS, Hornady) will have directions on the use of sigle stage and progressive presses also. The manual will also detail everything needed to get going, and show you tools that you can add later to streamline the process. If you can read and follow directions, you`ll be on your way.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Go buy a good book on reloading. There are a dozen or more that explain reloading in depth. Reloading isnt something you want to just jump into.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I used to reload. I didn't really shoot enough to make it cost effective, and I didn't have a range (or back yard) close by for free that I could develop loads.

So, if you think you are going to "save" money, you probably won't.

Reloading requires a minimum of

Press
Dies
Powder Scale
Components (bullets, brass, primers, powder)
Tumbler

You will need other equipment depending on how trick you want to be or how fast you want to make ammo.

Get a progressive press. A single stage press will take like an hour to make 50 rounds.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Any reloading manual put out by the big three, (Sierra, RCBS, Hornady) will have directions on the use of sigle stage and progressive presses also. The manual will also detail everything needed to get going, and show you tools that you can add later to streamline the process. If you can read and follow directions, you`ll be on your way.
Sorry, didnt read your entire post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts