Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like "relocate" my emergency brake
to the rear of my 79' FJ40 axle.

I'm considering using Z-28 rear calipers, but would like to hear any other options--especially if there are Land Cruiser part retrofits that could be done (say from 81+ FJ40's, 60's, 80's, etc...).

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think the mounting surface and bolt patterns are different that you can't just bolt on 81+ FJ40 or FJ60 brakes.

Dave

·
Registered
652 Posts
i think downey has new rear disc brakes with parking brake that they are selling. not sure of price though and i've never bought anything from them so i don't know about there quality and service.

dave

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I know a guy with a 83 fj axle for sale that has the rear emergency on the drum.

I can check it out if your interested.

bennett

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
the main difference, i have an 83 BJ40, like an fj but a diesel, and it has four bolts holding the backing plat on whereas you have 8 (pre 1980) also the backing plate has clips on it for handbrake cable, i removed mine and if you lived nearby i would give them to you (australia) because i upgraded to discs, and put a disc on the transfer case

·
Registered
319 Posts
LandCruisersKickAss,

That's a nice setup. Got any more pics? What calipers are you using? Does one e-brake cable control both calipers?

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts