Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the low position of the factory alternator, fried one after going through some deep muddy water and would just like it up higher. Relocating the battery to the back isn't a problem so there will definitely be room. I'm just wondering about the pulley arrangement and if anyone has done this if they had any pics. Making brackets is no problem but would like to see some ideas before going at this.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
people add yorks next to their AC units, I don't see why you can't fab a bracket to put the alternator up there. You will have to figure out how to keep a pulley attached to the stock location and run a double pulley on the AC condensor. Check out www.onboardair.com for some mount ideas.

The alternator placement is probably the biggest design flaw to the XJ, except for not building it with F&R 60's ;)

SeanP

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah don't we all wish, right along with the low range case. What I was thinking of was not even bothering with an idler pulley where the alternator used to be. Here's a wookie sketch of the oem setup..

And here's what I was thinking of doing..

To keep enough pressure on the AC pulley I would put an idler between the two, possibly lower than what is pictured. It also gives me more flexibility of belt lengths to use in case I can't find one the exact length I need. Possibly could make it an adjuster? I'm not too concerned with the fan pulley as it's pretty much an idler when I get the electric fan installed again. See anything wrong with this setup?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
that'll work. You might need to do some trial and error to get the right serpentine belt for it.

SeanP

·
Registered
824 Posts
you may not have enough belt pressure on the fan. the fans create a considerable amount of drag.

otherwise it looks pretty good. your 'wookie' sketch shows the alt pretty far out though, you'll have to keep it pretty tight to the A/C i think to work well and not be in the way of everything else.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
also, you'll want to relocate your battery to the drivers side and get one of the Turbo City air intakes that route the cone filter to the pass side above the oil filter. I am sure others that run in mud and water crossings would be interested in the bracketry designs. Hell, maybe even manufacture and market them thru RE or Rusty or someone.

SeanP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Couldn't you find the bracket from a YJ, isn't there alternator up higher?? I haven't replaced one in awhile but I seem to think it is. I have thought about doing something like that on my XJ for awhile.

later,
Robert

·
Registered
657 Posts
I used a large case AC Delco for my OBW - you could easily get a large case Ford (externally regulated) and then add a switched external regulator to use it as a primary alternator and as a welder should you need it - I would keep the oem alternator as a back-up if nothing else plus you need the combo serp/v groove pulley to run the second alternator in my style setup... (just let the OEM spin - roller bearing = very little resistance)

I think you would not have enough pulley surface area to run the system with the positions you have shown... Although you won't know until you try! :flipoff2:

Matt

Edit: I didn't even notice at first but the actual belt routing decal is in the bottom corner of the pic - you can see the OEM setup uses as much of the belt/pulley contact surface area that is possible - I think you will have slippage in any other possition with less contact...

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OBW? Oh yeah! I'm assuming you made your own control box there in the pic?? Would love to hear some specs/diagrams of that!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Matt's built a pretty damn cool XJ. Heavy, but cool ;)

I have been wrestling with OBA or Welder. I think that I will get much more use from welder than OBA. I have a CO2 tank already.

SeanP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts