Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to give my front end a nip and tuck. With the body lift and cut fenders, it has a serious underbite. I basically want it to sit on top of the frame rails and as far back as possible. Just looking for ideas on the safest way to do it.

Edit: I was thinking of cutting out the brackets, flipping them over so the flat side is out and welding them back in, setting them on top of the frame and making a plate to bolt them together on the outside.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Are you in love with your current bumper?

You might be better off just starting over. It sticks out a lot and is pretty wide when compared to the trimming you have done to the fenders.

From the pics it looks like you could slide the whole set up back about 3-4 inches, if you went with a different mounting technique. Also You could trim your grill and recess the winch in to the grill a little and gain even more clearance.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the bumper. I like being able to stand on it. My dad built it in 72 when he bought that Warn Bellevue that's in it. There are three bolts on each side. Two are 1/2" and the one you see is 3/4, I think. It is going through a single frame thickness, boxing the frame is not a problem though. There is no grille to trim. Right against the core support would be sweet.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uglyscout said:
Could you rework the mounts and then just trim off the end of the frame rails to allow it to slide in further?

It looks like the body mounts are in the way to have your bracktes on the outside of the frame. But how about the inside?

The "How I want it to look" pic looks perfect. Tucked back as tight as possible.
I could rework the mounts and trim off the frame rails, but I want it higher too. That's why I was thinking I could narrow the distance between the mounts and slide it on top of the rails. Then, bolt a plate to the sides. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
first things first- box that part of the frame, it will be easier to figure out a mounting solution if you have a box to work with instead of a C.

then, what i would do is move the current mounts on the bumper to be the same width as the framerails.

mock up the bumper so that the bottom of the box tube you used for mounts is sitting on the top of the frame rails, recessed as far back as possible.

then build some plates coming up off the sides of the framerails that you can put a bolt through them and the bumper and tighten 'er down.

if you need clarification of my idea i can try to draw a picture.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
9V, that'a almost exactly what I was thinking. Is it necessary to box in the frame? If I do box it in, shoild the bolts go all the way through or do I just make access holes to get to them inside the box?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts