Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me some ideas on what they use as far as deer slugs for a remmington 870. I have been using mine for a few years now and ran out of the "cheap" off brand slugs that I was shooting fairly well with and grouped well. I tried out some remmington buckhammers this year and they did not do well at all with my gun. I thought that they might do well since they are made by the same company that made the gun. They didnt. I could have done better throwing the whole gun at the deer. Previously it was good and accurate. Now its all over the place and the only change was the slugs.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Have you tried Federal Truball slugs? Federal had a $2 a box rebate for their buckshot/Truball slugs so I bought a bunch just to have on hand.

In TN, we aren't forced to hunt deer with shotguns like up north, so I've only shot slugs around 25-30 yards, but they were accurate.

Have you tried any 12ga. sabot rounds?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing I have ever tried were these cheap slugs that were great and the name brand that sucked. I would go back to the cheap jobs but I couldn't find them anywhere a year and a half ago when I tried to find them and now I can't remember what they were. I haven't looked into the loads you suggested yet but if they are a "buckshot" I can't use that in the wonderful state of illinois.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Only thing I have ever tried were these cheap slugs that were great and the name brand that sucked. I would go back to the cheap jobs but I couldn't find them anywhere a year and a half ago when I tried to find them and now I can't remember what they were. I haven't looked into the loads you suggested yet but if they are a "buckshot" I can't use that in the wonderful state of illinois.
They weren't buckshot. I found a package. They were Federal Truball rifled slugs 2-3/4" 1oz. 1600fps velocity.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/slug.aspx?id=396

·
Registered
78 Posts
870 magnum with rifled barrel and Leupold shotgun scope.
I've used the Remington cooper solid 3" sabot since they were first put on the market. Originally cost about 8 bucks for a box of 5. Last week in Dicks that same box was $21.00. I can hold a 6 inch group at 50 yds on a rest. thats good enough for me hunting in the mts of E. Tenn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts