Pirate 4x4 banner

remote oil filter

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  joe_out_west 
#1 ·
i'd like to add a remote oil filter to my 85 w/ 22re, i was thinking of relocating my battery and mounting the filter there, is this to high up with respect to the rest of the engine? should the filter be kept at the same height as the original fliter? if this is a bad spot what do you consider to be the best mounting location.

#2 ·
You can mount a filter almost anywhere you want to. The oil pressure takes care of moving the oil up an incline. I personally would not put the oil filter where the battery is for the simple reason that when you change your oil I dont imagine you want oil all over your fender well. I would put the filter up front, like underneath your windshield washer tank or next to the charcoal canister in the front where you can just barely slide under the truck to change it.

#3 ·
i wasn't thinking so much of getting the oil to the filter, as much as knowing if you had enough oil in it, or too much. would the dipstick reading still be right? or will the extra oil run back in to the pan and cause a possible probled on start up (with the timing chain tensioner)? would the anti-drain in the filter take care of this? thanks

#4 ·
I would figure with this kind of set up you would have to addsabout 1/2 to 3/4 more quarts of oil per change, and a little extra oil will most certainly not harm your engine. It is when people add two quarts or more of oil and drown the damn thing. You should be fine running this set up, I'am planning to do the same thing with my toy

#6 ·
When I started reading this post I was thinking "why would you want a remote oil filter?", and you answered my question. I have a AC compressor and the last time I changed my filter I had to get my kid with his skinny arm to change it. Thanks for the idea:D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.