Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving home today I heard and felt a click/crack and suddenly the truck started pulling to the left. Got home a mile later and the front drivers hub was smoking hot to the touch (smoked the skin on my fingers touching it):shaking: Front kingpin Dana 60 FWIW.

Took it all apart and found pieces of wheel bearing in the hub. The spindle nuts came out but I can't pull the hub. Obviously I removed the caliper already, but the hub won't budge. I have been pounding on it using a 5lb sledge and a piece of wood so I don't ruin the rotor, but I'm getting nowhere. It spins...roughly, but it spins.

If I pull the kingpins to remove the entire knuckle, then what? I figure the hub will still be frozen on the fricking spindle. :mad3: Any advice?

And since I'll most likely at least need a new spindle and bearings/seals, any vendors on PBB that you'd recommend?

Yesterday I was driving home on rutted dirt road and hit a helluva pothole, I figure I may have fucked it up then since I serviced the wheel bearing less than a year ago.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Torch. Burn the grease out first then burn the outer bearings rollers out of the races. You probably already killed the spindle but the hub should be salvageable. Hub seal should be the only thing holding the inner on there.

Only other suggestion would be to leave the spindle nut very loose and brake caliper off and drive it around the block a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
If you don't have a torch pull the knuckle like you said and support the rotor on some wood blocks so only the rotor is on the wood and pound on the spinal until it drops out the back. The spinels is probably junk anyways.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The paint on the hub was burned off where the outer bearing would be, so It got hot as hell. Roller bearings are about 50% out of the cage and ground up fine in the hub, the outer cage came out looking like a wire ring. I just pressed out the wheel studs to separate the hub and the rotor so I could use a pry bar to try and force it off. That got me nowhere and gouged the metal on my chisels that I was trying to use to separate them. Next step is to just pull the damn Kingpins and tie rod end to remove the entire assembly and work on it on a bench.:shaking:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still couldn't get that sucker off even with a BFH. I ordered a new spindle and hub for it, so when that stuff comes in I'll break out the sawzall and oxygen/Acetylene wrench and just cut it apart. I just hope that heat didn't jack up the stub shaft as well.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried but I can't get to the spindle bolts, they're behind both the hub and brake dust shield. I have room to maybe get a 1/4" drive extension but no socket bigger than maybe 7/16".

I don't know what caused the failure, I serviced the bearings about a year ago and new kingpins w/new bearings three years ago, used synthetic wheel bearing grease. Truck sees maybe 2k a year since it's the truck I use solely for hauling. Granted it has a heavy CTD over it about 1,500 of those miles are with 2k or so in the bed and on rutted forest service roads but still.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
285/75-16 GY Duratracs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think you missed what BuckinBronc said. Can you get the hole KNUCKLE off and put it in a press?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can you rig up something off the lug studs using a coupling nut and make a big version of a harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Disc brake guru
6,688 Posts
What do you think caused the hub to lockup?
Lack of grease and maintenance. It was probably squeaking before it died. The first problem was probably a seal failure allowing water to get in.

Try putting the tire back on for more leverage
This guy has your solution! Put the tire on and work it like a slide hammer. Most of the time the only thing keeping it together right now is the seal. Once you get it off use a grinder with a cut off wheel to cut most of the way through the bearing. Then use a chisel to crack it the rest of the way and it should come off the spindle so you can see it it's really that bad.

·
Canuckastani
1,703 Posts
Take the knuckle off, bolt a tire or just bare wheel on the hub then put it onsome 2x4s to keep the knuckle off the ground. Then put a small peice of plate on the threaded end of the spindle and start smacking it with a BFG.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's sitting in the driveway now and will be for a few more days since I'm out of town.

When I get back I will likely just torch the hub or use a sawzall to take it off. I don't have the room to torch the spindle nuts, well maybe the bottom one only but that's it.

It could be maintenance, but I repacked the bearings about a year ago which was less than 2k miles. Everything looked good then with no signs of leakage. It's a 1st gen CTD so it could have squeaked and I never heard it if it wasn't loud.

I'm going with a new knuckle and spindle on that side and all new wheel bearings, spindle seals and spindle bearings on both sides. I'll check the kingpins again but they have less that 5k on new ones I installed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts