Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe this is a question for D-Web, but today, I ain't got tha time...

Am I in deep crap driving without the cross-member temporarily (the one behind the engine, in front of the t-case)?

Here's the deal...replacing the exhaust on the '83. Since I have the newer fuel injection, I purchased a used Y-pipe from a '94 so the O2 sensors would jive. Installed the Y-pipe and new manifolds just fine...but later realized it is from a LWB :mad: (fricken' E-Bay :mad:).

Well, the cross-member will not fit in the same spot due to the position of the cats and the y-pipe. I will likely reposition it in due time, but now is not that time (I now need to have a muffler shop weld up a straight-pipe 10 inches shorter than the muffler to replace the muffler and install the rest of the exhaust :mad:).

Anyway...fun as usual.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
all is not lost young Jedi.

You don't need to worry about your truck falling apart w/out that cross member.

Depending on the condition of the Cats, you may have an eager buyer right here in Vega$$$$$. (me)

Gimme a call.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Serious One said:
all is not lost young Jedi.

You don't need to worry about your truck falling apart w/out that cross member.

Depending on the condition of the Cats, you may have an eager buyer right here in Vega$$$$$. (me)

Gimme a call.
hey mike i may have a set of practically brand new (maybe 5000mi) cats for a 3.5RR for sale if youre interested, or if lucas doesnt want to part with his.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want to part with mine unless I've got a sure line on a '90+ SWB y-pipe.

Going for my third try to find a muffler shop with somebody who knows how to weld :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Shane you should send him that Y-pipe I sent you and I could give you all of your money back (I'm not trying to avoid you BTW...). :)

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here's the update. I went to a custom muffler shop and they cut the flange off my muffler and welded it onto a standard 'turbo' muffler, which provided the ~8" reduction in length of the exhaust. All's well.

Now if anybody is up for the y-pipe trading, they have to pay to have the flange welded back on the original muffler (and Mike has do all the labor 'cuz I'm in no way interested in getting back underneath my truck for at least 6 months...) :D

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
The only way I'm interested in getting back underneath YOUR truck, is to get my rear axle back.

:flipoff2:

BTW, you owe me $2100. :D

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Serious One said:
BTW, you owe me $2100. :D

Last time I checked, that axle didn't come with an ARB, or with a front axle with ARB...

Bwaaaahahahahaha....better put a lien against my house, 'cuz that's the only way you're gonna bleed this turnip...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't know how far off you are from the x-member fitting...but the newer Rangies (89 and up maybe?) came with a different/smaller x-member due to the downpipes.

This is a common problem when putting aftermarket downpipes on an 87 or 88.

Anyway...you might be able to find a 89 and up x-member for cheap if it gives you enough room...

Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ahem - ahhh - yes well..... I didn't even know there was supposed to be a crossmember there until I crawled under someone elses truck and went hey you got a custom crossmember??? :emb2: :shaking:

I did notice the brackets in case you were wondering.... total effin newbie:D

Anyway - haven't had one for 2.5 years - there always seems to be a much more interestin bit to put on that a boring ol crossmember.

So you should be ok.

I AM GOING TO PUT ONE ON SOON.... right after I have upgraded the front diff and chopped the back....:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually preffer to call mine a tranny slilder as it saved my tranny from a direct hit from a tree stump...

Broke the rear steering rod in half and landed on the cross member which bent and got a huge dent in it...

Remember to check those mudholes for stumps :eek:

Dave

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got Mike's off his '90 in the back of my truck...it ran me about $2000. Mike said the dealer charges about $4000 and I was getting a steal. He said not to bother with the local pick'n pull 'cuz they charge at least that much plus the labor to go pull it (like another $2000). Overall, it was a good day, we got to use his winch, and I'm just so stoked to find deals like this in Vegas. :D

I totally rule.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts