Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
if you havent stripped the phillipps heads out yet use an impact driver with a deadblow hammer ....drill the heads off the stripped screws (if there are any) with a 1/2 bit then vice grip the remaining part of the screw after you get the hinge off.. . then you can cut the hinges so the doors fall off when you roll or you can take em off in the summer

my 2 cents worth

newbie :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
The impact driver worked on about half of my screws.
I had to drill out the rest.

Go ahead and get an impact driver, if you own a Zuk your going to need one.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I did something stranger, mine wouldnt come off using the impact driver ( The driver bit exploxed.. cheap Husky tools ) so I got out the cut off wheel on the die grinder & cut a channel, then used a lug wrench that has 1 flat side, like the end of a huge screwdriver that the manufacturer used ( I think ) to remove hubcaps and they came right out... every one of them.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I tried using the impact on two of them, gave up, got out the air drill, blew the tops in nothing flat.

The rest of the screw comes out real easy after that.

I replaced them socket head screws - ie, they take an allen wrench in the head. Black. Looks great, and I can get them tight!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
hit the head of the screw on the side with a hammer and a chisel it will break the locktite loosethen they will unscrew easy. the dead blow hammer can dent the side of your zook if your not careful.thats how i did it:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
tdavis said:

I replaced them socket head screws - ie, they take an allen wrench in the head. Black. Looks great, and I can get them tight!
For the nUbs:

if you look hard enough you can find socket head screws that are more or less the same shape as the stock screw, not a raised/square cap screw style.

I agree that socket head bolts are the way to go if you are going to bother with this.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
THERE IS NO NEED TO TAKE THE HINGES OFF! Just cut the top part of the hing with a dremmel or die grinder. Well thats what I did because my hinges wouldn't come off.

Oh yeah :flipoff2: :flipoff2: Newbie!!

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
impact driver only stripped my screws, and/or began to dent the sheet metal. Mega Glue!!

I broke a few hacksaw blades in 1/3's. clamped the centre part of each piece at an angle with mini vise grips, and patiently sawed away at the tops and bottoms of all the screws until there were distinct flat sections on each one.

Then clamped large vise grips onto the flat areas (sticking out perpendicularly from the screw) and then turned the vise grips with a giant Star Trek crescent wrench.

Ahh, what I could've done back then with a garage and tools:(

I am pretty confident I could saw my way out of prison with the ol' hack saw blade in the cake trick, though:D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
UZI 9mm said:

I broke a few hacksaw blades in 1/3's. clamped the centre part of each piece at an angle with mini vise grips, and patiently sawed away at the tops and bottoms of all the screws until there were distinct flat sections on each one.

Bwahahahahaha...you have to much time on your hands or too much patience!!!!!!

Try a BFH and a chissel. Just make sure your chisseling in the right direction. A good wack with the hammer to start then angle the chissel to loosen the bolt.:p

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
mudlite said:

Bwahahahahaha...you have to much time on your hands or too much patience!!!!!!

Try a BFH and a chissel. Just make sure your chisseling in the right direction. A good wack with the hammer to start then angle the chissel to loosen the bolt.:p

This is also the best way to take the rest of your body apart on a samurai!!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ya'll are newbies

Heat the screws with a propane torch and then you can take them out with a regular old screw driver, an impact driver works best but either way if you get them thar screws warm enough they'll come right out. You don't need to put the flame right on there and burn the paint, just close enough that you don't damage it but can still get them warm.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Lziffle73 said:
Ya'll are newbies

Heat the screws with a propane torch and then you can take them out with a regular old screw driver, an impact driver works best but either way if you get them thar screws warm enough they'll come right out. You don't need to put the flame right on there and burn the paint, just close enough that you don't damage it but can still get them warm.
Your're on to something here...
I tig welded a bolt to the head of each and ran it off with an impact. I'd say the heat of welding softened the sealant/glue on the threads, because they came off with nothing more that a small tack weld. Too easy....

·
Registered
898 Posts
so,
has anyone tried removing the whole hinge assembly, NOT cutting it up, and drilling/driving out the pivot pin in there, and replacing it w/ a removable pin or bolt?? that way the doors wouldn't fall off.....and it'd just be a quick pull the pin or bolt and the doors are off...

???

--Berne

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Berne said:
so,
has anyone tried removing the whole hinge assembly, NOT cutting it up, and drilling/driving out the pivot pin in there, and replacing it w/ a removable pin or bolt?? that way the doors wouldn't fall off.....and it'd just be a quick pull the pin or bolt and the doors are off...

???

--Berne
how are they going to fall off?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
godzuki said:
how are they going to fall off?
They will fall off every single time you roll your rig onto its top and then open the doors :D lol

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Tusker said:
They will fall off every single time you roll your rig onto its top and then open the doors :D lol
well i rolled over last weekend at the wheelin ranch and i wish my doors would have fell off cause the passenger door found a big rock:flipoff2: and no more glass.lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts