Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up another drill press (12-speed down to 150 RPMs), but am having a problem with the chuck.
I am trying to remove the shank from the 1" Jacobs chuck, but am not having alot of luck. I put a rod through the chuck key hole, and also one through the hole in the shank. I was unsuccessful in getting them apart using a hammer. This is a right-hand thread, correct?. The flat end of the shank is twisted, so I want to replace the shank. Isn't the flat end heat treated? If not, could I grind off the edges and build it back up with single passes of a mig?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Ed - Check for a reverse thread screw inside the base of the chuck .

Jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Um I may be wrong but the 1 inch jacobs chucks I deal with are all press fit. Open up the drill chuck all the way open and then put a round object in it and put in a arbor press to press out. It is a tapered fit. Unless its a different kind of chuck. I have a drill press at work that twists off the end tangs and I will take the twisted tang and grind back flat and weld it up and grind back to shape.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
jeepguy616 said:
I have a drill press at work that twists off the end tangs and I will take the twisted tang and grind back flat and weld it up and grind back to shape.
Since I can just repair the tang, then I won't have to remove the tapered shaft. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts